Re: Orlebar Brown 007 2020 Collection

Miles Messervy wrote:
Matt S wrote:
JTM wrote:

I completely agree. I know it's just meant to be their "take" on the screen worn items, but they could have made an attempt to get closer with the collar...yes the collar on the actual MR polo is very 70’s (massive) and it probably wouldn’t have been fashionable to go that large with the repro, but OB could have made there’s a little bigger. Scrolling through the images on the MR knit polo's product page and seeing the actual polo next to OB's makes the difference really obvious. Also, small and thin knit collars like that generally go to s**t (edges get all wavy) after a short amount of time, even with careful washing.

https://i.postimg.cc/7C74QWBk/IMG-2900.jpg

Annd there's also no pocket on OB's...but I'm willing to forgive that.

Roger's shirt is a proper shirt made of a cotton or cotton/poly jersey knit. It is constructed like a shirt rather than a polo, so it can take a large collar. OB went the more accessible approach of making it a wool polo-sweater. It's an entirely different type of piece that wouldn't work with a larger collar. For a collar that large it needs to be a shirt collar rather than a polo collar, but reinterpreting it as a true piece of knitwear rather than a shirt limited what they can do as far as screen-accurate details go. The sweater they made looks great, and it's certainly an accessible piece, but I would have been more excited if it were more like Roger's shirt. I may try to have a replica made of it some day in a non-black colour.

I guess my point was that OB didn’t bother themselves with making accessible pieces last time around. Instead, they went for it with multiple terry cloth pieces and some other daring things like the AVTAK track jacket. Nothing in this collection feels as unique or special as some of those items. As a fan of Bond style, and of OB independently, surely I am the target audience?

Maybe this collection shows that that approach didn't work too well for them last time and they're trying to sell a few more to their more usual customers?

Not everyone is a fan.

https://www.twitter.com/Clothesonfilm/s … 5181628417

https://i.postimg.cc/LYQGQCJx/2020-6-10-16-33-25.jpg

Westward_Drift wrote:

Not everyone is a fan.

Is there a dressing gown?

emtiem wrote:
Westward_Drift wrote:

Not everyone is a fan.

Is there a dressing gown?

There was a Dr No robe in the last capsule release.

I can't really argue with anything they've said.

Westward_Drift wrote:

Not everyone is a fan.

Pussy Galore: “My name is Pussy Galore.”
Bond: “I must be dreaming.”

Enjoying Death wrote:

I can't really argue with anything they've said.

Westward_Drift wrote:

Not everyone is a fan.

I was thinking the same thing  ajb007/lol

I am baffled by their interpretation of the Thunderball Gingham check shirt. Why make the collar white? It looks absolutely nothing like the original shirt!  ajb007/confused  Bizarre decision.

UNCLE27 wrote:

I am baffled by their interpretation of the Thunderball Gingham check shirt. Why make the collar white? It looks absolutely nothing like the original shirt!  ajb007/confused  Bizarre decision.

https://i.postimg.cc/HWF6bRz7/4-C072-A38-B3-DC-4813-82-F3-07-C7-D7-EE90-AC.gif

But honestly who knows? Maybe they thought it would look too similar to their TB stripe shirt without the change?

How did they get from the brief of this (Courtesy of Matt S's SOJB)

https://i.postimg.cc/V5zKTPnG/Blue-Gingham-Camp-Shirt.jpg

To this ?

https://i.postimg.cc/jDncNxY5/ORLEBAR-BROWN-THUNDERBALL-GINGHAM-SHIRT-BLUEPRINT-WHITE-272089-FRONT.jpg

My sister used to wear something resembling this to primary school.

Truly horrendous. Mason & Sons must be laughing HARD.

OB also took some big liberties with their first run of "inspired by 007" items. The nearly electric blue Dr No toweling polo comes to mind.

What strikes me is that there is little here that's distinctive. I can buy a pink poplin shirt anywhere.

The issue with this line, IMO, is primarily the prices. There are a handful of things I might buy if they were just $100 cheaper. For instance, the FYEO V neck would still be expensive at $275. But at $375 it's in (outrageous) fashion designer territory. And OB isn't Tom Ford.

I'll be curious to watch the stock to see what moves. If we start seeing some of these pieces discounted, especially from third-party OB stockists, it will say a lot.

Cheverian wrote:

If we start seeing some of these pieces discounted, especially from third-party OB stockists, it will say a lot.

It's more like 'when', not 'if'.  Considering the state of retail in general right now, I would not be surprised to see some of these items go on sale very, very quickly.

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>OP>DN>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

I think the white collar on the gingham shirt was OB's way of getting their signature towelling into the collection. They really love towelling, and this collection wouldn't be rightly theirs if it didn't have anything made of towelling.

The polo in Dr. No wasn't originally towelling, yet OB making it in towelling instead of pique gave it a touch of their own style.

Cheverian wrote:

OB also took some big liberties with their first run of "inspired by 007" items. The nearly electric blue Dr No toweling polo comes to mind.

What strikes me is that there is little here that's distinctive. I can buy a pink poplin shirt anywhere.

The issue with this line, IMO, is primarily the prices. There are a handful of things I might buy if they were just $100 cheaper. For instance, the FYEO V neck would still be expensive at $275. But at $375 it's in (outrageous) fashion designer territory. And OB isn't Tom Ford.

I'll be curious to watch the stock to see what moves. If we start seeing some of these pieces discounted, especially from third-party OB stockists, it will say a lot.

The US prices are beyond crazy.

The $375 FYEO v-neck popped out at me right away. Why silk? A silk blend at that for that price?

The piece I was looking forward to was the Octopussy harrington, but the price is again outrageous at $525. In close up it looks like a $99 jacket from Abercrombie & Fitch. Plus it's been "reimagined" into a slim fit jacket. Why get a blouson that doesn't blouse?

Honestly, OB has never fit me very well. L is usually too tight while XL is a baggy. I can't justify the price based on fit.

Westward_Drift wrote:

The $375 FYEO v-neck popped out at me right away. Why silk? A silk blend at that for that price?

Yeah, that's the one that offended me the most.  Making that thing silk seems absurd, and putting that thing out there for $375 feels like they're trolling us.

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>OP>DN>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

People Who complain about pricing need to remember that the OB brand caters to the luxury market. So yes their prices may not be affordable to everyone.

But in the same token, If I was to pay $375 for a silk tee, then it better be 100% silk , which is not even the case here. It’s 50% cotton and 50% silk. Same goes to OP jacket which looks cheaply made.

I only ordered the TB striped shirt , the only “iconic” piece in this run.

Westward_Drift wrote:
Cheverian wrote:

The US prices are beyond crazy.

The piece I was looking forward to was the Octopussy harrington, but the price is again outrageous at $525. In close up it looks like a $99 jacket from Abercrombie & Fitch. Plus it's been "reimagined" into a slim fit jacket. Why get a blouson that doesn't blouse?

Honestly, OB has never fit me very well. L is usually too tight while XL is a baggy. I can't justify the price based on fit.

Double0zero wrote:

People Who complain about pricing need to remember that the OB brand caters to the luxury market. So yes their prices may not be affordable to everyone.

I think what many of us are saying is that we *are* the luxury market (I've shopped in their Palm Beach store), and we still find the prices hard to defend. I've spent way too much on clothing in my life (thanks for nothing, AJB). And I'd really been hoping to see something in this line that was distinctive enough to justify a significant expenditure. The TMWTGG shirt might be that for me. It's unusual with those side adjusters.

The larger question is how Orlebar Brown is positioning itself going forward. I'd seen it roughly on a level with Sunspel. But maybe they think there's a market selling beachwear north of Sunspel prices. Good for them if it works out.

I got the blue FYEO t-shirt... ajb007/martini

And by that I mean I went to H&M and bought myself a navy v-neck shirt for 10€.

Seriously, who buys this stuff???
Not trying to get an argument going, but a lot of „Bond-influencers“ really seem to embrace this line while the general census is not positive.

The name is Walker by the way.

AugustWalker wrote:

ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

ajb007/martini  ajb007/martini  ajb007/martini

I seriously need to check out H&M for the t-shirt.

Cheverian, you hit the nail on the head.

AugustWalker wrote:

Seriously, who buys this stuff???
Not trying to get an argument going, but a lot of „Bond-influencers“ really seem to embrace this line while the general census is not positive.

Yeah I mean, I’m not intending to be critical of anyone, but I’ll just observe that if OB was sending me some of this stuff free of charge to put on inatagram, my opinion of it would be far more favorable.  ajb007/lol  Same goes for the N Peal stuff from a few months ago.

That said, the OB line from last year was far more unique and I did end up purchasing one of the pieces (which I wear a lot). This one, like the N Peal line, is a hard pass for me because it feels like generic clothing with an extreme mark up based solely on the Bond connection.

The white Thunderball shorts arrived today and, despite being no longer than a pair of boxer briefs, they're a lot better (and less.. lewd?) than I was expecting. Thumbs up recommendation.

I know what you mean.

The OB prices are crazy. At a push I could justify £75 spend on a t-shirt, max, so OB is too rich for my blood.

I bought a very screen accurate (with no visible branding) nice quality BOSS blue v-neck a few years ago for £50 in the sales. Chuffed to bits with it, and I wear it on the beach or out on the water every summer holiday. I don't feel it's cosplay, as it's just a blue v-neck t-shirt at the end of the day. If I spent £245 on the OB one I would just be scared to wear it in such an environment (where it should be worn!) However, I do appreciate that it's all relative and for some, dropping £245 on a t-shirt (albeit 50% silk) is the equivalent of £50 to me.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Stripe and blue linen Thunderball shirts at a push (maybe) for me when they hit the inevitable sale. 

Cant believe how they bastardised the Gingham - looks terrible

Instagram - bondclothes007

I saw the two Bond Experience videos about the collection and i have to say that David does a better job at showcasing each piece than all of OB's promotional videos combined.

However, even though the videos ignited my interest in some pieces, the truth is that the pricing is ridiculous and totally disconnected with the current global situation. I am not even sure that they will become price-wise tempting during sales.

welshboy78 wrote:

Stripe and blue linen Thunderball shirts at a push (maybe) for me when they hit the inevitable sale. 

Cant believe how they bastardised the Gingham - looks terrible

Right. You can call it Gingham or whatever you want since this actually has nothing to do with the one Bond wore. I am fine with interpretations but they should lead someone to recall the piece they are supposed to make reference to and this is not the case here. I actually had the same issue with some of the previous collection like the Goldfinger trunks (also nothing to do with the originals) but in this collections is even worse... If these collection goes on sale in a few weeks/months and prices get drastically reduced I would then consider to pick up a couple of things. Otherwise will be a clear pass.

Mason and Sons have done a much better job of recreating the short sleeve camp collar shirts and at a fair price. I would go with them over this OB collection, even the linen suit could be recreated through M&S or elsewhere with better materials than what OB have used IMO.