Re: Coronavirus

The beaches have reopened here but I will not go until there is some feedback on crowds etc.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

CoolHandBond wrote:

The beaches have reopened here but I will not go until there is some feedback on crowds etc.

You do right, I'll only be doing essential trips out of the home for work staying next week and. To local places to exercise with our dog.

It was either that.....or the priesthood

+1

Until we‘ve found a vaccine, that will be my conduct

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

So, we all know that many companies have been hit hard by Covid and the airlines have been part of them.

In February, I have booked 2 tickets from Hamburg to London for the NTTD premiere.
Price was around 400 Euros, around 50% of that price where taxes and fees.

As the premiere did not happen but flight cancellations where becoming increasingly more, I decided not to cancel ( would have lost most of the money) but to ride it out.

Then end of March, British Airways cancelled the flight and offered an alternative, which has been cancelled again.

According to 2004 EU law, if an airline cancels a flight, the passenger has the right to receive a full refund of his money.

For weeks, I have  tried to reach BA by phone - not a chance.
Then via a very hidden link, I have cancelled the flight because of the previous cancellation.
All emails have been replied as received - nothing happened.

I am all for solidarity and I would never demand the full amount back from the airline in such a situation. But the taxes and fees they should refund.
They simply took the money and instead of forwarding the money, they sit in it.

So, if BA would, have replied, I‘d have demanded my taxes and fees back - for the rest I‘d have accepted a voucher or coupon,

As BA has decided to play deaf and hardball with their customers, I had to protest the payment at PayPal and have now received a full refund.

Do I feel sorry for BA? Well, not very much!

FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

I have only flown with BA once, it was the worst experience ever for a supposedly top airline.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Higgins, can your credit card company do a chargeback?

They could, but I have used PayPal with using partly some funds that I‘ve had in my PP account plus Visa.

As said, I used PP buyer protection and have received the funds in full.

My point was, I understand the trouble that BA and others are and if they‘d worked with me instead of  playing deaf, I‘d been willing to compromise.
As they did the deaf thing, I have gone to the maximum pain solution which was a full refund.

Sorry to interrupt the thread with this, but it seems like a good place to post it:

The furore in the UK about the government's defence of its top advisor Dominic Cumming's "interpretation" of lockdown guidance to suit his personal circumstances is important in terms of undermining public trust. It seems the PM and his Cabinet are reverting to old style politics and prioritising over clarity of message a decision to look after one of their own. This in the middle of a public health emergency.

A car crash briefing by the Transport Secretary this evening. Pun intended.

Last edited by Shady Tree (23rd May 2020 16:21)

That's not strictly a pun, more wordplay. Sarciness intended.  ajb007/biggrin

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

The UK minister in question, Grant Shapps, is doubling down this morning, on the political shows, and doing further damage in terms of public trust in the government's messaging/ instructions. Wholly irresponsible behaviour by the UK government, in plain sight.

It's an odd story all round. We have a local who spotted Cummings out and about near a castle, and just happened to recognise him and also took his number plate AND typed it into his computer AND says he has a photographic memory it's just the sort of thing he does.
It reminds me of the Sun or NoW story about how they happened upon a radio boffin who happens to listen to late-night phone calls and radio signals and record them for fun and just happened to happen upon a phone call of Prince Charles and Camilla, in which they happened to engage in erotic byplay about tampons and stuff.
Rubbish! Of course the press had hacked their phone calls, but they didn't want to admit to that possibility so they co-opted some helpful citizen to 'explain' how the call came into the public domain.
The police never looked into this hackery because, well, they collude with the press anyway which very often is arm of the State, and they put out the official story as and when. That's why Leveson 2 got shut down - to avoid exposing all that, it seems.

So it appears Cummings was under surveillance during his travels - and as Cummings is a declared enemy of the State - in particular local authorities, this was going to happen. It is hard to know who to feel sorry for most in all this.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Napoleon Plural wrote:

It is hard to know who to feel sorry for most in all this.

Well, certainly NOT Dominic Cummings  ajb007/mad

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

I thought the local spotting him etc was a bit odd too. I thought we were all supposed to be social distancing but that doesn't seem to apply to journalists and photographers. At least, not the ones surrounding Cummings getting into his car. Seems like a double standard to me.

Sir Miles wrote:
Napoleon Plural wrote:

It is hard to know who to feel sorry for most in all this.

Well, certainly NOT Dominic Cummings  ajb007/mad

I've no strong aversion to this view - but Cummings is a mixer and some part of me thinks, like Bond and Stromberg's vino, that a man so opposed to local authorities can't be all bad.  ajb007/martini

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Just watching Cumming‘s press conference.

What a pathetic and arrogant little liar!
And of course no regrets and press making this up.

The Spy Who Never Dies wrote:

I thought the local spotting him etc was a bit odd too. I thought we were all supposed to be social distancing but that doesn't seem to apply to journalists and photographers. At least, not the ones surrounding Cummings getting into his car. Seems like a double standard to me.

So the local couldn’t have spotted him from two metres away?

Journalists and photographers are allowed to work - whilst maintaining social distancing...what you are NOT supposed to do is drive the length of the country to visit your parents! I thought THAT was obvious. THAT’S where your double standards are.

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

Higgins wrote:

Just watching Cumming‘s press conference.

What a pathetic and arrogant little liar!
And of course no regrets and press making this up.

That’s him summed up to perfection.

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

If Cummings would have sat down and admitted that he was arrogant and deliberately breaking the rules which he has installed -because he thought that he was better or more important - it would have been not as pathetic as that sh*tshow that is currently on TV.

What a loser!

Higgins wrote:

+1

For what it's worth, everyone that I know personally is doing the same thing.  We're not going to play around with this until there's a cure.

I get that people are antsy.  I'm antsy too, and I want to resume my normal life.  At the same time, we're looking at probably a year (hopefully less) before this gets fully resolved.  I can grit my teeth and do this for a year out of respect for others.  I'm really concerned about keeping the economy afloat, but that's another argument entirely.

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>GE>OP>DN>FYEO>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

Higgins wrote:

If Cummings would have sat down and admitted that he was arrogant and deliberately breaking the rules which he has installed -because he thought that he was better or more important - it would have been not as pathetic as that sh*tshow that is currently on TV.

What a loser!

He's a career psychopath. The government needs to accept that the situation puts at risk people's willingness to adhere to lockdown rules and may cost lives. The PM should sack him, but I fear he's too arrogant or weak, or both, to do that.

Higgins wrote:

+1

Thunderbird Too!   Wales is still in full lockdown, and that suits Me. My Employer has confirmed we are continuing Working From Home at least until September, and WFH will most likely carry on beyond that.

This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?

Kirk and Spock were listening to Cummings, too.

https://i.postimg.cc/Mnsh2PZP/98920546-3006044566145110-8898091885533331456-n.jpg

But everyone bends the rules.

If I go out to buy a Times and a bottle of red - hardly essential, is it?
But what if I do my daily approved exercise - and there's a Co-op at at the end of it? And I go in and buy the Times and wine. Is that right or wrong?
What if Cummings drives 250 miles - what of it? He's in the car, it's not strictly as bad as walking around your local supermarket.
It would be different if he got to go to his Mum's funeral or into her care home or something - cos no one else is allowed to do that.

Oh, and the photographers weren't social distancing as they tried to interview him/harass him - so they are in the wrong.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

If I understand correctly, UK citizens where ordered to stay at home and not driving around and visiting family.

Last edited by Higgins (25th May 2020 22:00)

Higgins is right. This is not bending the rules it’s blatantly flouting them. My Father, my Aunts and Uncles they are in other parts of the country. Many of my friends and colleagues have kids and or elderly parents too.
  Why were none of us given this ‘provision?’  Because it was breaking the law!
Sack him?  He should be prosecuted for gross negligence, endangering the lives of others and shut given a prison sentence of at least four months.

This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?