Re: Will November still be the release month?

IMO, Tenet, which like Dunkirk was shot entirely in IMAX 70 and Panavison Super 70mm will sit on the shelf for as long as theaters are shuttered. One has to wonder if the big studios/producers have designated certain big tent pole films to be off limits for streaming and will negotiate with each other on staggered release dates depending on when theaters re-open? I do believe that more Disney titles, such as the live action Mulan and others may be more apt to go to streaming because of the target audience being children who's parents would be more apt to give in and buy/or rent a film to keep the kids who are at home and bored out of their hair...plus kids are probably less picky about not seeing something in a theater. Disney also appears to be taking a calculated gamble by moving one of its mid level releases, Atremis Fowl to their subscription streaming service, Disney Plus. That being said, it appears that the studios are continuing to push back release dates of blockbusters.

Since NTTD won't be released until November or possibly even later, is it time to consider a dedicated area in AJB for Bond26?

Number24 wrote:

Since NTTD won't be released until November or possibly even later, is it time to consider a dedicated area in AJB for Bond26?

Why not, but on the other hand, there isn’t much to dill it with atm.

The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
Check it out, you won’t be disappointed ajb007/smile

Not much yet, but we can talk about locations, casting, possible plots, the style/mood we want etc.

Number24 wrote:

Not much yet, but we can talk about locations, casting, possible plots, the style/mood we want etc.

Would this discussion be any different than the hopes and dreams we had for Bond 25?

We don't know, but that's a good point. However Bond26 will have a new Bond actor. As a result it's likely we'll see a somewhat new style. possibly a new Scooby gang and some level of reboot. We didn't have to take this into account for most of the production of NTTD.

When we finally get to see NTTD and the virus is gone or a vaccine is created. After this long wait my wishfull thinking is that bond 26 atleast dont get this long wait. 2 years maximum please ajb007/martini

I think two years is unfortunately unrealistic, but I hope for 3-4 years.

Does the fact that AMC theaters have now filed bankruptcy and Cinemark theaters are out of credit and most likely going to bankruptcy change anyone’s mind about the film going to streaming? Both companies will reorganize but most likely develop other portions of the complex. Reducing screens and splitting showtimes. Why not release on demand now for the people who are less Bond fans while it is still in recent memory...ie the theme song. Then have a theatre release as well. We would all pay for both and they would get the non specific Bond fans as well.

Companies will swoop in to prop up those theaters, and the amount of folks itching to go out again is not inconsiderable. Two US chains filing for bankruptcy protection (not the same as closing) is not a reason to cancel a giant global release - indeed, US theaters being unable to screen might mean they HAVE to go theatrical so they can make that money in other parts of the world.

The films that are likely going to streaming are mid-budget comedies and horror films. Yet even films like A Quiet Place Part II are refusing to give up hope on theatrical.

They should stream it, but they probably won’t. Either way, it’s not coming out in theaters in November.

HalfMonk HalfHitman wrote:

Companies will swoop in to prop up those theaters, and the amount of folks itching to go out again is not inconsiderable. Two US chains filing for bankruptcy protection (not the same as closing) is not a reason to cancel a giant global release - indeed, US theaters being unable to screen might mean they HAVE to go theatrical so they can make that money in other parts of the world.

The films that are likely going to streaming are mid-budget comedies and horror films. Yet even films like A Quiet Place Part II are refusing to give up hope on theatrical.

It does appear that all the "big" films continue to have their release dates pushed back in hopes of eventual theatrical release.

IMO, it's an oversimplification to believe that as bad as things are right now that movie theaters will never return.

When EON pushed it back to November we were all gutted. Now we're discussing if it was pushed far enough back. Isn't life strange?

HowardB wrote:
HalfMonk HalfHitman wrote:

It does appear that all the "big" films continue to have their release dates pushed back in hopes of eventual theatrical release.

IMO, it's an oversimplification to believe that as bad as things are right now that movie theaters will never return.

I agree. Movie theaters will (eventually) reopen. I'm still fairly confident in a November release—or rather I know that there is a lot of uncertainty and there's still 7 months until its release. Who knows what things will look like by then. I don't think they need to be rash and put it on VOD now (as much as I'd selfishly love it)

I would much prefer to see it in cinemas and based on current European trajectories it should still be plausible to release the film in November (hopeful optimism). However, if people are being honest: do you really think you could resist the temptation to watch a 4K rental of the film if it was released? I don’t think I would have the will power.

Miles Messervy wrote:

They should stream it, but they probably won’t. Either way, it’s not coming out in theaters in November.

November is a LONG way off. I’m confident that cinemas will be back up and running in some form then and there’ll be no issues with the movie’s new opening.

JTM wrote:
Miles Messervy wrote:

November is a LONG way off. I’m confident that cinemas will be back up and running in some form then and there’ll be no issues with the movie’s new opening.

November isn't that far away. Science thinks the world will still be far from normal by then.

Matt S wrote:
JTM wrote:
Miles Messervy wrote:

November isn't that far away. Science thinks the world will still be far from notheaterrmal by then.

As much as I would much prefer to see NTTD in a proper theater at this point it's really impossible to predict or project anything.
Hell....it's scary enough to think we seem to have some here in the USA (not naming names) who don't seem to want to make these types of decisions based on science. ajb007/insane

HowardB wrote:
Matt S wrote:
JTM wrote:

November isn't that far away. Science thinks the world will still be far from notheaterrmal by then.

As much as I would much prefer to see NTTD in a proper theater at this point it's really impossible to predict or project anything.
Hell....it's scary enough to think we seem to have some here in the USA (not naming names) who don't seem to want to make these types of decisions based on science. ajb007/insane

Some people prefer to follow their hearts, others their wallets. I'm the analytical type who listens to science. Unfortunately figuring out this situation is not an exact science. Not even someone as smart as a rocket scientist can tell us what will happen.

surely they will have to start paying interest on the money borrowed by now? financial pressure must already be on?

I think if TENET still gets to be released in July, there's Hope for NTTD's November release.

So there will be no more tweaking of the movie?

That’s it done?

It must be tempting when you have lots of time on your hands, and once in a lifetime world events are unfolding in front of you...

I know I would be tempted

John Francis Kennedy wrote:

So there will be no more tweaking of the movie?

That’s it done?

It must be tempting when you have lots of time on your hands, and once in a lifetime world events are unfolding in front of you...

I know I would be tempted

Tweaking a movie takes a great many people, which means millions of dollars they don't have.

I'm starting to doubt November will still be the release date, this whole coronavirus pandemic is so uncertain with countries still only speculating what a lockdown exit looks like. If somewhere like the US still has restrictions on public gatherings would they still release the movie? I mean in the whole context of things this isn't at all on the list of important things.

It was either that.....or the priesthood

Chriscoop wrote:

I'm starting to doubt November will still be the release date, this whole coronavirus pandemic is so uncertain with countries still only speculating what a lockdown exit looks like. If somewhere like the US still has restrictions on public gatherings would they still release the movie? I mean in the whole context of things this isn't at all on the list of important things.

I think they're going to wait until September to see if it's worth starting to market the film again. If necessary, they might decide then whether to delay it further or release it at home. It depends on how quickly they need the cash.