Re: Will November still be the release month?

Eon won't pay a movie star to play Bond. If their Bond becomes a movie star, that's another story.

Cheverian wrote:
Gassy Man wrote:

It doesn't necessarily translate into anything meaningful onscreen.  Look at SPECTRE, which was one of the most expensive Bond films.  The villain's lair turned out to be be a mostly-CGI oil refinery populated by a few dozen extras we hardly saw.  It wasn't the volcano with a cast of hundreds and a real helipad. It's amazing how much they spent on the movie and how long it took to make it, yet so many scenes are virtually empty of people and action.

You absolutely nailed the problem with SPECTRE. Almost none of that money made it onto the screen. Meanwhile, some of the scenes I liked best (e.g, the train fight) had to have been among the least expensive to make.

I've noticed this in just about every movie Mendes makes.  He likes to do the opposite of everyone else, that is, he starts big and then gets smaller and smaller until the end.  He loves a lot of the same shots, such as a lone person traveling along some kind of pathway. 

SPECTRE often feels like a TV show with a low budget that tries to maximize the situation by using big, empty spaces.  The Avengers and Jerry Anderson's UFO used to do that, for instance, but the difference was these show were brilliant at turning all that into part of the weirdness of their stories.  SPECTRE lacks the self awareness to realize it doesn't work.  These are literally just big empty spaces.

But Mendes burns up money like he's printing it, and the results are underwhelming, and I would include Skyfall in that assessment, too.  But at least that movie raided The Dark Knight and Straw Dogs enough to cover some of it up. 

SPECTRE should have pulled out all the stops.  We should have gotten a volcano twice as big and with twice as much action.  Instead, hardly anything happened.  It has all the spectacle of a TV dinner. 

I'm glad Mendes doesn't have anything to do with Bond anymore, though NTTD has a lot of visual cues that look he could have been the director.

It seems unlikely there will be a vaccine in 2020. Unless they find a medicine or the infection is contained enough in the most important territiories in time I don't see how NTTD will be release in November.

Number24 wrote:

It seems unlikely there will be a vaccine in 2020. Unless they find a medicine or the infection is contained enough in the most important territiories in time I don't see how NTTD will be release in November.

Maybe pushed back to an Easter 2021 date?

I suspect so.  But let's hope they find a medicine this summer and the Movie can be released in november, and not just for the sake of NTTD  ajb007/shifty

Last edited by Number24 (23rd May 2020 17:27)

Number24 wrote:

I suspect so.  But let's hope they find a medicine this summer and the Movie can be released in november, and not just for the sake of NTTD  ajb007/shifty

That would be a great thing for the whole world wouldn't it?.......... ajb007/smile

Yes, there would be some positive side effects for the world in general  ajb007/biggrin

So Chinese cinemas have been gradually re-opened, Australian cinemas are re-opening this month and US cinemas are looking to do the same. Not sure about UK or the EU. Christopher Nolan's big-budget Tenet is sticking with its July 17 release date; Mulan with its July 24 date; and Wonder Woman 1984 with its August 14 date. November is still a long way off (half a year)...think of where the world was 6 months ago (it was actually relatively normal!). I don't think we need to worry about not seeing NTTD at the cinemas this year.

I think UK, EU, US and Chinese cinemas being open at the time of release is a miniumum requrement. That's some way of yet.

This weekend's Parade magazine (for those outside North America or who don't subscribe to that dying industry of newspapers, it's the Sunday paper insert) had a cover story on the late summer releases of such big movies as Wonder Woman 84.  I think if the studios and theaters plan to be back in business by August, there's no reason to believe NTTD will be pushed back further.  Well, no reason than another viral outbreak.

Vox clamantis in deserto

Hardyboy wrote:

This weekend's Parade magazine (for those outside North America or who don't subscribe to that dying industry of newspapers, it's the Sunday paper insert)…

I’m SO glad you added that - Parade was a very different magazine in the UK  ajb007/amazed

Errr...so I’m told ajb007/embarrassed

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

Sir Miles wrote:
Hardyboy wrote:

This weekend's Parade magazine (for those outside North America or who don't subscribe to that dying industry of newspapers, it's the Sunday paper insert)…

I’m SO glad you added that - Parade was a very different magazine in the UK  ajb007/amazed

Errr...so I’m told ajb007/embarrassed

Apparently it was a magazine for the discerning gentleman who wanted to keep abreast of the latest developments

One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.

Hardyboy wrote:

I think if the studios and theaters plan to be back in business by August, there's no reason to believe NTTD will be pushed back further.  Well, no reason than another viral outbreak.

The latter will be something to await, yet seriously consider... Societies are starting to open up again, slowly but steadily. However, the virus seems to back down / go silent due to rising temperatures and dryer air, brought on by summer.
If this changes during fall, the virus might be back, big time...

EON will have to anticipate on this.