1

Topic: FE Golden Gun Cigarette Lighter

Does anyone on here know of anyways to repair the threads on the cigarette lighter and cufflink for the FE Golden Gun? It appears the cufflink looks okay for the most part but the threads in the cigarette lighter look pretty stripped out. Is this a common problem on these?

2

Re: FE Golden Gun Cigarette Lighter

Bdove wrote:

Does anyone on here know of anyways to repair the threads on the cigarette lighter and cufflink for the FE Golden Gun? It appears the cufflink looks okay for the most part but the threads in the cigarette lighter look pretty stripped out. Is this a common problem on these?

I believe the FE golden guns are die cast in a material called zamak, an alloy of zinc, aluminium and magnesium. As you can imagine from the recipe, it’s a fairly soft alloy.

The cuff link thread is quite intrinsic to the structural integrity of the prop, I’d refer to it as the ‘Jesus nut’ (yes I know it’s a bolt, just google the term) of the prop.

The thread on the cuff link is M2, I’ve made replacements but not had to rethread the lighter yet. Technically you’d need to drill out and thread the lighter to M3, then have a new cuff link/trigger made to match.

And yes, I could do that for you and yes it’d cost a bit.

MG  ajb007/martini

'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
www.helpforheroes.org.uk
www.cancerresearchuk.org

3

Re: FE Golden Gun Cigarette Lighter

I appreciate the info and quick reply. Do you know the exact thread pitch for the cufflink and cigarette lighter? One thought I had previously had for a fix would be to run a die down the cufflink to restore it's threads and drill the lighter out and insert a helicoil provided I can find all of that stuff with that small of thread pitch.




minigeff wrote:
Bdove wrote:

Does anyone on here know of anyways to repair the threads on the cigarette lighter and cufflink for the FE Golden Gun? It appears the cufflink looks okay for the most part but the threads in the cigarette lighter look pretty stripped out. Is this a common problem on these?

I believe the FE golden guns are die cast in a material called zamak, an alloy of zinc, aluminium and magnesium. As you can imagine from the recipe, it’s a fairly soft alloy.

The cuff link thread is quite intrinsic to the structural integrity of the prop, I’d refer to it as the ‘Jesus nut’ (yes I know it’s a bolt, just google the term) of the prop.

The thread on the cuff link is M2, I’ve made replacements but not had to rethread the lighter yet. Technically you’d need to drill out and thread the lighter to M3, then have a new cuff link/trigger made to match.

And yes, I could do that for you and yes it’d cost a bit.

MG  ajb007/martini

4

Re: FE Golden Gun Cigarette Lighter

Bdove wrote:

I appreciate the info and quick reply. Do you know the exact thread pitch for the cufflink and cigarette lighter? One thought I had previously had for a fix would be to run a die down the cufflink to restore it's threads and drill the lighter out and insert a helicoil provided I can find all of that stuff with that small of thread pitch.




minigeff wrote:
Bdove wrote:

Does anyone on here know of anyways to repair the threads on the cigarette lighter and cufflink for the FE Golden Gun? It appears the cufflink looks okay for the most part but the threads in the cigarette lighter look pretty stripped out. Is this a common problem on these?

I believe the FE golden guns are die cast in a material called zamak, an alloy of zinc, aluminium and magnesium. As you can imagine from the recipe, it’s a fairly soft alloy.

The cuff link thread is quite intrinsic to the structural integrity of the prop, I’d refer to it as the ‘Jesus nut’ (yes I know it’s a bolt, just google the term) of the prop.

The thread on the cuff link is M2, I’ve made replacements but not had to rethread the lighter yet. Technically you’d need to drill out and thread the lighter to M3, then have a new cuff link/trigger made to match.

And yes, I could do that for you and yes it’d cost a bit.

MG  ajb007/martini

From memory I’m not certain on the thread pitch and I don’t think you’ll find a helicoil that small.

Why FE didn’t use brass or steel for this vital connection is anyone’s guess. Production costs probably.

'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
www.helpforheroes.org.uk
www.cancerresearchuk.org