Topic: Watching the 007 movies together?

I am deliberately posting it here because the event section usually is dead.

How about if some of us are watching a certain 007 movie ( less the Dalton ones...) simultaneously and we post our thoughts real-time in one thread?
I guess that most of us are staying home and have some free time in hands.

What daya all think?

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

Re: Watching the 007 movies together?

https://i.postimg.cc/jCFsXnxc/timothy-dalton-best-bond-thumb-860xauto-34352.jpg

Interesting idea. We have to get more people aboard, since two is a bit few. Ideally they should be in the same time zone, but I guess that's less important now that many are working from home or not working at all. Then we need to pick a film.

I've done similar 'watchalongs' on other boards for various films.  FLASH GORDON (1980) was one that we did a couple of times and was a lot of fun.  We did MOONRAKER once and had fun with the whole 'is it the BEST Bond film or the WORST Bond film' question through the entire movie.

When we did it, we posted for people to sign up and state their timezone.  When enough people signed up (typically 5 or more), then the timezones would be analyzed for a two hour stretch that was acceptable to everyone.  When we did the movie, we'd typically all agree on where exactly to start so that everyone was (more or less) in sync.  For MOONRAKER, I think we agreed to start it right before the gunbarrel sequence, for instance.  Then, as the movie played, we'd post our thoughts in the thread.  it worked out pretty slick, and having the conversation in the thread allowed everyone to be able to go back and laugh later on.

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>GE>OP>DN>FYEO>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

I like it, I like it alot, time zone may be a bit of a difficult factor, but everything is doable.

Just to make it Clear: I'm in, providing I have the film on DVD and the time frame is reasonable.

I like this idea ...  ajb007/martini

~God Judges Us by Our Scars~

I suggest we avoid the universally loved films (CR, Skyfall, OHMSS, GF) and the most devisive (LTK springs to mind) to avoid too many "love it/hate it" excanges. At least at first. I'd like to see films like YOLT, AVTAK and TND. Interesting, but not overdiscussed movies where most will agree there are stronger and weaker points.

My proposal is to start with Dr. No.

And please people tell us your timezone (GMT +- X hours)

FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

Dr No works for me. My time-zone is currently BST (British Summer Time) which is GMT + 1.  ajb007/insane

Preferably if the viewing could be done during a weekend it would be better for me, as I'm WFH at the moment, but if everyone else prefers sometime in the week then I'll try to make it.

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

I'm GMT+2, same as most of western Europe. DN is a good suggestion.

wikipedia has a handydandy map for sorting this all out
...except we just "sprung forward" for Daylight Saving Time, I think that adds +1, so I should actually be -4.
Is everybody else factoring in Daylight Savings Time as we synchronise our watches?

Starting at the beginning with Dr No is the best idea. Observe the evolution.
but I just watched the first five Connerys quite recently, so I probably wont have much new to say.

On that map I'm GMT +1

I'm game.

Central time in the USA.  That's UTC/GMT - 5 (for right now...we're in daylight saving's time.  Normally we'd be -6).

I question going with DR. NO first, though.  There really isn't any controversy over the film apart from the casting of Dr. No himself.  If you really want to stir the pot, go with DAF, MR, or similar.  Heck, do AVTAK or LTK and spend the movie looking for redeeming qualities.  That said, I'm up for it if DR. NO is the selection.

Current rankings:

Have I ever tried to stir a pot, I wonder  ajb007/shifty

You're at least as non-confrontational as I am, Sir!  ajb007/biggrin
Having said that, Gymkata has a point about DN. I'll watch DN with you, but perhaps YOLT or DAF are more interesting?

Higgins wrote:

Have I ever tried to stir a pot, I wonder  ajb007/shifty

ajb007/rolleyes

..................http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

When will be the best time to watch it? Perhaps around 4-5 PM? That will be 3-4 PM for most of Europe and about 10 PM on the American East coast. Or should we start earlier in the afternoon and include the American west coast?

Gymkata wrote:

I question going with DR. NO first, though.  There really isn't any controversy over the film apart from the casting of Dr. No himself.

Maybe consider the arguments made by previous posters, eg in these two threads:
Dr No - Overrated
Why Dr. No is the most perfect Bond movie possible, EVER.
There has in fact been debate about whether Dr No is inherently better because its closer to Fleming, or if its just a cheaply made prototype that doesn't really represent the series.

in fact, perhaps maybe it would be a good idea to look at past threads and suggest topics for discussion for each film?

Great idea, count me in. Happy to start with DN. I'm in GMT, and yes Higgins has stirred pots.

If any of you guys own an Oculus Quest or other VR headset, there is a free app called Bigscreen which broadcasts movies and TV shows in virtual theaters and owing to the magic of VR it looks like you are watching a giant screen.

Bigscreen is also a social app so you can get up to 10 people per virtual room and watch and chat together.

Of interest to AJB'ers is that Bigscreen has a dedicated, free James Bond channel which shows most of the Bond movies 7x24. Depending on your internet connection the picture quality is quite good as well.

Might be another avenue for the more tech-minded fans out there to explore.

Ok, so let‘s try it.

Dr. No, please use Blurays if possible.

I‘d like to suggest 20:10 GMT  by tomorrow Friday 3rd April.

Everybody get his player ready at 20:00 and click start.
The Zero is when the movie really starts ( after the MGM lion, and other logos), so pause your player there!

I don‘t want to start on a Saturday as some of you guys may have other olans for the weekend days (though you are supposed to stay at home)

I‘ll start one new thread here and make a notice in the  events section - or does anyone have a better idea?

Would be great if a mod could make it sticky just for that day.

Last edited by Higgins (2nd Apr 2020 16:33)

No problems.

If I may respectfully suggest:

1. Have everyone use this site to sync up: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/
- doing so allows everyone to ensure that they've got their timezone correct.
- doing so ensures that everyone is hitting 'play' at the exact same time.

2. Have everyone have their DVDs/blu rays/Betamax cassettes on pause right at the beginning of the gun barrel sequence.  This way you avoid anyone having any sort of issue where they maybe have additional stuff in front of the movie.  If everyone is using the blu rays, this probably won't be a problem, but you never know.  If you start at the gun barrel sequence, you can be confident that everyone will be in sync.

Current rankings:

I finish work 2000 on Friday and I start work 0700 on sat morning as I work for the emergency services so unfortunately I cannot take part