Re: Watching the 007 movies together?

Too bad, postie.

Hope, that we will have another one on Sunday, would that be ok for you?

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------

Suggestion: If there's an interest for it we could have some of these events at a time that fits people in the Pacific area

Hi maybe, now work for HM Coastguard suppose to work 4 on 4 off (2 days 2 nights) but now working 6 on 2 off (12 hour shifts) will find tomorrow what next week brings.

Regards

Number24 wrote:

Suggestion: If there's an interest for it we could have some of these events at a time that fits people in the Pacific area

Well it isn't too bad over here at the current scheduled time; a nice early 7am Bond start to the day! At least it doesn't mean a 3am start...look I love Bond but not that much.

I love this idea, I will hopefully be joining you all at 20.00 hours this evening.

It was either that.....or the priesthood

The dedicated thread is here:

https://ajb007.co.uk/topic/52471/friday … -together/

And please remember.

We start the players at 20:00 but start the movie at 20:10

Ok, we'll do another event next Monday with FRWL.

After that, we'll change from chronological for a simple reason:
The interest may drop after the 4th or 5th time and we'd then be still stuck with Connery.

I'd like to cover the Bond movies more broadly, so we will continue with Roger Moore (my proposal will be TSWLM or TMWTGG), then Brosnan and then OHMSS before we cover one Craig movie and then go to the really bad ones with Dalton.

If you're wanting to stick with 'one film per Bond actor', I'd suggest:

Moore:
- either TSWLM (arguably his best outing) or MR (his most divisive outing).  Both would generate good conversation.

Brosnan:
- either GE (his best outing) or DAD (arguably the worst of the Bond films, period).  Both would generate good conversation, although I don't think I could bear to sit through the second act of DAD again.

Lazenby:
- OHMSS.  I mean, yeah.  Obviously.  I hope I can make this one as it's my favorite Bond film (and one of my overall favorite films) period.

Dalton:
- I'd opt for TLD.  I detest LTK.  TLD is very solid, though.

Craig:
- I'd opt for CR because it's awesome.  Maybe SF if that's what people want.

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>OP>DN>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

can I suggest we do the timestamp thing more frequently during the film?
maybe at the end of major acts ...
FRWL one obvious place would the start of the scene where they are about to get on the train.
another would be end of the scene with the billboard, because next scene is where Bond finds Tatiana in his bed.
maybe some volunteer could note a half dozen such points beforehand, and Higgins could announce them as he reaches them on his telly?
(and folks who are two minutes ahead could pause til the rest of us catch up!)

I notice in another thread a fellow agent said he started 20minutes late, so did not participate in the banter. If we'd been doing the timestamp thing more rigourously he could have skipped ahead to catch up.

Higgins was doing timestamps here and there, and a lot of us were chiming in at certain checkpoints ('Bond just got beaten up', for example).

That said, it's not a bad idea.  Indeed, we could all mutually agree to reach a stopping point somewhere in the middle where everyone hits pause, does a bio break (if necessary), and then starts again.  It'd be a good opportunity to let people re-sync with the group if necessary.

Current rankings:

The issue with timestamping was the 60 seconds rule.

I‘ve attempted to timestamp more often but was then forced to wait because I have previously posted something.

Just curious: are there different cuts of the movies that might effect the running times?  I know that CR has some different edits to it depending upon the version that you're watching (a few cuts for violence here and there) but nothing that can really change the overall runtime all that much.  If so, then that might explain why people who supposedly started at the same time could find themselves at different points in the film.

Also, it's kinda vitally important that everyone use the same site for syncing up their times.  If EVERYONE is using the same site (for example, https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/), then EVERYONE should be in sync for their start time, within a few seconds margin of error.

Current rankings:

I can‘t enter the posted url.
But I used

https://greenwichmeantime.com/

Which should give good infos.

It seemed that parts of the UK and Norway had a version which was 2 minutes shorter and one in Scotland seemed to be very short as he was running ahead for 10 minutes.....

ajb007/tongue

Gymkata wrote:

Just curious: are there different cuts of the movies that might effect the running times?  I know that CR has some different edits to it depending upon the version that you're watching (a few cuts for violence here and there) but nothing that can really change the overall runtime all that much.  If so, then that might explain why people who supposedly started at the same time could find themselves at different points in the film.

I dont know the answer, but see this post:
the first four films had cuts by censors as originally released, some of which have been restored in the dvd's, some haven't.
FRWL had a bunch of little cuts some of which have since been restored.

but what about the splitsecond of blankspace before the gunbarrel, or the corporate logos and legal text that appears beforehand on my dvd's? is that counted in the time and universal to all dvd's?

And also, I was wrong about the approximate time Bond and Quarrel beach the boat: it was more like 1:01:20, and that alone could account for discrepencies amongst the audience. So if we do research timestamps in advance, they gotta be precise and not from memory.

The  version I saw is 1 hour and 45 minutes.

considering Honour Blackman just passed, any second thoughts about maybe watching Goldfinger after FRWL?

Perhaps we should even replace FRWL with GF tonight in her honour?
We can watch FRWL at a later date if we want to.

I'd go for that.
Higgins?

I‘d be ok with that but I guess that it‘ll surprise many.

Not sure if I can change the headline though.

Thanks again for all who participated yesterday night.

So, should we continue with this?
When and which movie?

Yes.
Soon.
TSWLM?

Will try and watch GF when I get up as just finished a 13 night shift.

I watch FRWL yesterday afternoon

I think we should watch DAF together  ajb007/biggrin  ajb007/biggrin  ajb007/biggrin  ajb007/biggrin