AJB live commentary on GOLDFINGER

HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
edited May 2020 in Off Topic Chat
Todays news informed us about Honor Blackman‘s passing.

In her honor and memory, we‘ll watch GOLDFINGER TONIGHT

As the viewing of Dr. No was such a success, I am happy to announce that James Bond returns on Monday!!!

We have moved the starting time ahead for one hour with the kind permission of JTM who needs to start now at 6:00 in the morning.

0c65aeb980.jpg

London Summertime: 20:00
Paris Summertime: 21:00
New York local time 15:00
LA local time 12:00

PLEADE KEEP IN MIND THAT WE ARE ALL STARTING 10 MINUTES LATER !
The 19:00 deadline is set so that everybody has enough time to find their DVDs/Blu Rays, boot their players and get done with the menus and pause right before the gunbarrel sequence.

WE ARE STARTING PRECISELY AT 19:10

- Please make sure that everybody has their BluRay/DVD ( in the case of Barbel VCR) ready and start the player latest 19:00 GMT to get done with all the dodgy menus.

- PAUSE YOUR PLAYER RIGHT BEFORE THE GUNBARELL SEQUENCE STARTS AND

- HIT PLAY PRECISELY AT 19:10.

I‘ll post some timecodes during the thread just incase that somebody has messed it up
President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!

Comments

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    And I am very much looking forwards to Gymkata's gifs :D

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I'm hoping to join in with this one, couldn't make last night as I was busy keeping the kids away from Mrs Coop who was busy in her job dealing with the fallout of the virus and Lockdown.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    Looking forward to see you on monday night showing up, CC! {[]

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,204Chief of Staff
    Fine looking girl.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,763MI6 Agent
    I wonder if we can have some measures in place to fix it if someone is too far before or behind the others? Perhaps we can agree on some very spesific moment in ther movie, the start of the title sequence is often a good time. Everyone can post what the time (minutes past the hour and seconds) was when they saw that moment. If the times are significantly different, we can ask the ones who are ahead to pause the movie a certain number of seconds. Some difference in where we are in the fim can't be avoided, but too much can be irritating and ruin some of the experience.
    I have a slightly different opinion.

We are all meeting to watch a movie that we all well know.
    Posting on AJB and reading along is already a distraction and further adjusting will be more of it.

I was just irritated at the beginning as I did not know if Asp9mm and Barbel where trolling us or not with their beginning at 20:00.

From the context, I could see that they have been ahead, no big issue for me - particularly as we now know that this happens (again)

I think we should try hard to have positive outlook on this little project and not speculate too much on what happened and why. We're doing this to have a fun time together, after all :)
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,929MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    ...Perhaps we can agree on some very specific moment in the movie, the start of the title sequence is often a good time. ...
    yes I mentioned this in the other thread, there's a couple of major starts and ends of acts we could figure out the timestamps beforehand.
    can I suggest we do the timestamp thing more frequently during the film?
    maybe at the end of major acts ...
    FRWL one obvious place would
    - the start of the scene where they are about to get on the train.
    - Another would be end of the scene with the billboard, because next scene is where Bond finds Tatiana in his bed.
    a couple others would be...
    - Just before the start of the gunbarrel
    - Between Bond leaving MI6 and landing in Instanbul ... doesn't he flirt with Moneypenny, hands her the photo, then we see the plane landing?
    - Maybe just before the start of the gypsycamp sequence?
    I think those are all pretty clearcut fade to black then a new act begins type moments

Once they got on the train such moments may be harder to define. It's more of a continuous flow of events from that point, though that's probably another 45 minutes.

but do all dvd editions/videotapes/blurays start the timecount at the same point anyway?
    Number24 wrote:
    I think we should try hard to have positive outlook on this little project and not speculate too much on what happened and why. We're doing this to have a fun time together, after all :)

I agree {[] {[]

Personally, it does not bother me if others are ahead or behind.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,929MI6 Agent
    I just had a skim through my dvd and found these recognisable demarcation points:

0:00:08 - Just before the start of the gunbarrel (the lion takes up 7 seconds)
    0:17:48 we finally see Bond. This is a crossfade from Tatiana and Klebb. (and first note of the Matt Monro song)
    0:24:23 - Between Bond saying Ciao to Moneypenny and landing in Instanbul. Another crossfade.
    0:30:20 - fade to black, between end of reservoir sequence, then Bey driving Bond to meet his gypsy friends
    0:51:29 - crossfade between the end of billboard scene, and the scene where Bond finds Tatiana in his bed
    1:03:25 - start of the theft of the Lektor (getting on the train actually flows continuously from this moment, there is no clearcut scenechange)
    1:20:16 - train arrives in Zagreb. Bond is about to meet Grant.
    1:36:23 - Bond enters Tatiana's cabin to wake her up after killing Grant
    1:53:31 - The End

my dvd is the Connery volume 1 threepack, and damn are those menus slow to load.
    I think the moment needs to be fairly early in the movie, there's no point in checking the timing one hour into the film. We press play when the gunbarrel starts,so that moment is out of the question. I think the moment in the PTS when the floodlights are switched on or the moment the PTS ends are good moments.
    Is there any interest for a "time-check point" while watching FRWL tonight or do we drop the idea?
    I probably wont be joining you anyway, as its Monday and theres work I should be doing.
    I just looked up those times because I thought it was a contribution I could make to help.
    I agree its not that big a deal if we are not all precisely sync'd, and should not distract us from the fun of a groupwatch.
    I'm sorry you can't join us tonight, but hopefully there'll be other oportunities later. We can't expect to be completely synced, but if we are minutes out of sync it gets irritating. My idea is to check if we're reasonably in sync early on. If we aren't we can try to get it better once, and forget about it later.
    Movie has been changed to GOLDFINGER in memory of the remarkable HONOR BLACKMAN

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    I’m still watching FRWL. Was looking forward to that. I only watched Goldfinger Saturday :))
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Glad to hear that!
    1 hour and 2 minutes to go!

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,966MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    1 hour and 2 minutes to go!

Looking forward to joining in with this one :-)
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
    A reminder, I am using this for time reference!

https://greenwichmeantime.com/

We are getting our disks and players ready on 19:00GMT and pause right before the gunbarrel.

At 19:10, we start playing the movie, which is

GOLDFINGER

tonight

Ok, it‘s 19:00GMT.

Get the disks and players ready and pause in front of the gunbarrel.

We hit play at 19:10

Just reminding everyone what Bond film we're watching tonight :007)

enhanced-buzz-wide-2232-1394564851-23.jpg
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,966MI6 Agent
    Am ready after the last lion roar and with a frozen black screen ahead of the gunbarrel :-)
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
    8 minutes

All set
    5 minutes - Barbel, you haven‘t started yet? :D

3 minutes

• JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Made it! Wouldn't miss Goldfinger -{ Also, turns out that daylight saving ended for me Sunday...who doesn't love a 5am Bond watch!
    No, Higgins- I'm just preparing liquor for three.
    1 minute