1

Topic: Connery's physical appearance in DAF

Hi everyone,

I always had a problem with Connery's physical appearance in Diamonds Are Forever. After all, he was only 40 at that time and "still in pretty good shape" in the two movies released before: The Molly Maguires (1970) and The Anderson Tapes (1971).

In DAF, he looks overweighted from head to toe and the scene where Bond gets undressed in front of Tiffany just after Plenty's "jump" shows it well. It becomes obvious when she puts the ashtray on his belly !

I definitely don't understand why Cubby didn't say anything during the shooting. What happended for God's sake ?


https://i.postimg.cc/qtPBdsrT/MollyM.gif



https://i.postimg.cc/vc0VwNNw/anderson.jpg



https://i.postimg.cc/tYc45QcJ/diamonds.jpg

2

Re: Connery's physical appearance in DAF

EON paid a lot of money to have Connery returning, so they where very cautious not messing up, with him.

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------

3

Re: Connery's physical appearance in DAF

Beyond not being in ideal shape for the character he wasn't as perfectly groomed either. They really toned down his massive eyebrows in his earlier Bond films, particularly Goldfinger. He did look much better a decade later in NSNA though.

@deanwdunlevy

4

Re: Connery's physical appearance in DAF

Sure they did, and the amount was something never seen before in Hollywood. For that reason, EON could have expected from Connery to be in good shape and much more involved. Instead of that, he was allowed to play golf between the takes...

We all know Sean was reluctant to return but taking care of your body from the first day of shooting to the last is not an option when you play James Bond, it's a duty. I'm just surprised Cubby didn't say a word about that.
I don't know if it would have changed the quality of the film but at least, it would have been pleasant to see him as classy as in the sixties.

5

Re: Connery's physical appearance in DAF

walther p99 wrote:

Beyond not being in ideal shape for the character he wasn't as perfectly groomed either. They really toned down his massive eyebrows in his earlier Bond films, particularly Goldfinger. He did look much better a decade later in NSNA though.


Even before NSNA. Take The Man Who Would Be King (1975) for instance. He looks great to me.


https://i.postimg.cc/PLPSp1n7/Dbh-NZxx-Uw-AAi-Uh-G.jpg

Last edited by SeanIsTheOnlyOne (20th Apr 2020 13:57)

6

Re: Connery's physical appearance in DAF

SeanIsTheOnlyOne wrote:

Sure they did, and the amount was something never seen before in Hollywood. For that reason, EON could have expected from Connery to be in good shape and much more involved. Instead of that, he was allowed to play golf between the takes...

We all know Sean was reluctant to return but taking care of your body from the first day of shooting to the last is not an option when you play James Bond, it's a duty. I'm just surprised Cubby didn't say a word about that.
I don't know if it would have changed the quality of the film but at least, it would have been pleasant to see him as classy as in the sixties.

I admire your enthusiasm, but that is not how Connery was and still is ticking.

After GF, the James Bond role became an annoyance, a burden, he always felt that he received too little money for his part and there was hardly any ‚duty feeling‘ to be on his peak when playing Bond.

It was not even about money, he could have probably gotten even more money out of it, if he‘d continued after DAF and I am pretty sure any criticism would have made him much less cooperative ( than he even was back then) .
So Cubby was well advised to keep his mouth shut and people where still lining up to see Connery bloated as Bond.

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------

7

Re: Connery's physical appearance in DAF

The relationship was reciprocal. Connery just phoned it in to a certain extent and Cubby knew having him back would get bums on seats.

DAF vies with DAD in propping up my list.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

8

Re: Connery's physical appearance in DAF

Amazing he was only 40 in DAF.  He looks way older in my opinion.   Guess he was enjoying the good life too much

Instagram - bondclothes007

9

Re: Connery's physical appearance in DAF

Connery and Harry Saltzman were not on speaking terms, and there was a clause in Connery's contract which specified that Saltzman was not allowed on the set. Evidently Saltzman found out, was enraged and visited the Vegas set the same evening. He supposedly stormed up to Connery's trailer. Sean allegedly opened the door, said "Harry!" and kissed him on the forehead, which enraged Saltzman further and he stormed off, never to revisit.

So it's unlikely that Cubby would want to rock the boat for any reason, particularly as United Artists' David Picker had gone out on a limb to get Connery back. The prospect of telling Connery to stop dodging salad would undoubtedly have sent him chicken oriental.

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

10

Re: Connery's physical appearance in DAF

The Red Kind wrote:

Connery just phoned it in to a certain extent and Cubby knew having him back would get bums on seats.

Maybe I'm biased - I love DAF, it was the first Bond I saw at the cinema and the scene where Bond swings above the Whyte House was one of the seminal moments in my life - but I think Connery gives a brilliant performance in DAF.

He ranges from humour ("Don't tell me - St Peter?") to controlled anger (when he slaps Plenty with his driving glove); his fight scene with Peter Franks looks brutal enough; he's suave in parts and when he shoots Blofeld's double, he looks deadly.

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

11

Re: Connery's physical appearance in DAF

Charmed & Dangerous wrote:
The Red Kind wrote:

Connery just phoned it in to a certain extent and Cubby knew having him back would get bums on seats.

Maybe I'm biased - I love DAF, it was the first Bond I saw at the cinema and the scene where Bond swings above the Whyte House was one of the seminal moments in my life - but I think Connery gives a brilliant performance in DAF.

He ranges from humour ("Don't tell me - St Peter?") to controlled anger (when he slaps Plenty with his driving glove); his fight scene with Peter Franks looks brutal enough; he's suave in parts and when he shoots Blofeld's double, he looks deadly.

For some reason, I have a certain affection for DAF. Perhaps because it was the first Bond film with Connery I ever saw as a child. But I don't consider it as a good movie. The plot is ridiculous and I don't like Connery's performance in this one. We can see the man is fed up and except the elevator fight, the coffin scene and the soundtrack, it's difficult to find any real interest in DAF.

12

Re: Connery's physical appearance in DAF

I enjoy Diamonds Are Forever. But I think Never Say Never Again is a better final Connery Bond movie. Even though it is a remake of Thunderball.

Connery's look in Diamonds Are Forever is disappointing though. I can't remember exactly what I thought when I saw the movie when I was young. I probably didn't mind that much. But I vaguely recall feeling that the look of Bond that evolved from Dr. No to You Only Live Twice really changed with Diamonds Are Forever.

One of the Bond books mentioned that Connery's laziness or disinterest, I can't remember the word they used, with Bond started with You Only Live Twice. But I like that one because it's exotic. Bond is still running around and climbing the mountain. And he still comes off as a continuation of the character from Dr. No.

"Better late than never."

13

Re: Connery's physical appearance in DAF

I think it’s all in the untrimmed eyebrows and the toupee. If Big Tam is overweight in DAF, it’s not by much. Could be the crew wasn’t lighting him properly .,.

14

Re: Connery's physical appearance in DAF

7289 wrote:

I think it’s all in the untrimmed eyebrows and the toupee. If Big Tam is overweight in DAF, it’s not by much. Could be the crew wasn’t lighting him properly .,.


Connery's hair loss started before Dr No and the toupees they used in the sixties were very good. This one is terrible !
I would have fired the costume designer for that ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

What you say about the lighting is very interesting because there are some pics showing the man with a perfect (fake) haircut.

I love this one for instance:

https://i.postimg.cc/dhryjzxr/200-A-JAMES-BOND-ARCHIVES-XL-00399-Carousel.jpg

He looks five years younger and his massive eyebrows don't seem too aggressive. Replace the Strip by Tokyo streets and you get a YOLT promo pic !

Last edited by SeanIsTheOnlyOne (21st Apr 2020 09:52)

15

Re: Connery's physical appearance in DAF

When did he film The Offence? He was meant to be overweight for that. Perhaps he was preparing or something.

TBF he was overweight for YOLT but did lose it in between films as for Shalako and the above mentioned.

Looked good in First Great Train Robbery and in shape for Zardoz though is get up is rubbish!

But same for NSNA really, he just didn't look quite right, seemed better in Highlander, he had more vitality.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

16

Re: Connery's physical appearance in DAF

Napoleon Plural wrote:

When did he film The Offence?

About 8 months after DAF wrapped. This being one of the 2 films United Artists were to finance as part of his DAF deal, there were fairly strict time limits on how quickly the films were to be shot.
(The second was never made.)

17

Re: Connery's physical appearance in DAF

Napoleon Plural wrote:

But same for NSNA really, he just didn't look quite right, seemed better in Highlander, he had more vitality.


I actually like the way he looks in NSNA. Right (fake) haircut, eyebrows trimmed and not overweight. Remember he was 52 during the shooting and in the movie they insist on the fact Bond is no more the fit young man he used to be, which is why M sends him to Shrublands. I even think he looks terrific in the Tango scene.


https://i.postimg.cc/XXLS7CpJ/hqdefault.jpg

18

Re: Connery's physical appearance in DAF

he still looks pretty cool in this, maybe could have had a better syrup, but hes in still good shape for a middle age man, ive started to appreciate this film more over the last year or so, i used to think it was one of the worst but its great fun

19

Re: Connery's physical appearance in DAF

7289 wrote:

I think it’s all in the untrimmed eyebrows and the toupee. If Big Tam is overweight in DAF, it’s not by much. Could be the crew wasn’t lighting him properly .,.

Agree. Also the sideburns are a tad too long.

20

Re: Connery's physical appearance in DAF

I think Connery gave a nuanced, engaging performance as Bond in DAF and, compared with his lean and waxy look in DN and FRWL, I'd say his image in DAF had the generous, fulsome appeal of an established super-star. It's my favourite look of his tenure as Bond and it's entirely apt for the louche humour and decadent mise-en-scene of the movie.

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 49 years.

21

Re: Connery's physical appearance in DAF

SeanIsTheOnlyOne wrote:
Charmed & Dangerous wrote:
The Red Kind wrote:

Connery just phoned it in to a certain extent and Cubby knew having him back would get bums on seats.

Maybe I'm biased - I love DAF, it was the first Bond I saw at the cinema and the scene where Bond swings above the Whyte House was one of the seminal moments in my life - but I think Connery gives a brilliant performance in DAF.

He ranges from humour ("Don't tell me - St Peter?") to controlled anger (when he slaps Plenty with his driving glove); his fight scene with Peter Franks looks brutal enough; he's suave in parts and when he shoots Blofeld's double, he looks deadly.

For some reason, I have a certain affection for DAF. Perhaps because it was the first Bond film with Connery I ever saw as a child. But I don't consider it as a good movie. The plot is ridiculous and I don't like Connery's performance in this one. We can see the man is fed up and except the elevator fight, the coffin scene and the soundtrack, it's difficult to find any real interest in DAF.

It's a bit of a Marmite film. Love it or Hate it.

Personally, while I thoroughly enjoy DAF, I recognise the film's defects. One of them isn't Sean Connery. He no more phones this  performance in than he does the one in YOLT. I do agree he looks somewhat battered. That didn't particularly bother me when I first saw it and while it  is noticeable, it doesn't  particularly bother me now. All in all, I think it's rather a charming, tongue in cheek performance and his slightly weighty look doesn't effect this. He still gets the girls and does a fair amount of derring-do. The fights though (Peter Frank's excepted) do seem rather slight, suggesting this older Bond isn't quite in shape (Bambi & Thumper - really ? Connery probably looks at his most flabby here )

The best of the film is the aforementioned White House sequence (beautifully shot by Ted Moore)  the John Barry soundtrack & the humour. Like most of the Moore adventures 007 is almost an afterthought.

No, what does rankle is the lack of a genuine threat. Lots of scrapes but nothing to seriously ruffle the mature, experienced, know-it-all unruffleable James Bond. ( "Pity about your liver , Sir... Well, if the collars and cuffs match... Wrong pussy... I was out walking  my rat... Is that who it was? Just proves no one's indestructible... etc")

I do agree that NSNA with it's clear allusions to 007's age  handles Connery's slight weight gain better.

22

Re: Connery's physical appearance in DAF

Shady Tree wrote:

I think Connery gave a nuanced, engaging performance as Bond in DAF and, compared with his lean and waxy look in DN and FRWL, I'd say his image in DAF had the generous, fulsome appeal of an established super-star. It's my favourite look of his tenure as Bond and it's entirely apt for the louche humour and decadent mise-en-scene of the movie.

Well, when I see your username I guess you're in love with this movie  ajb007/smile

23

Re: Connery's physical appearance in DAF

SeanIsTheOnlyOne wrote:
Shady Tree wrote:

I think Connery gave a nuanced, engaging performance as Bond in DAF and, compared with his lean and waxy look in DN and FRWL, I'd say his image in DAF had the generous, fulsome appeal of an established super-star. It's my favourite look of his tenure as Bond and it's entirely apt for the louche humour and decadent mise-en-scene of the movie.

Well, when I see your username I guess you're in love with this movie  ajb007/smile

Yes, and I like Marmite too lol.

In support of others who remark that Connery looked out of shape in DAF,  my namesake might have quipped: "People say Bond has the body of Sean Connery. When they see what he's done with it they'll be madder than hell!"

Last edited by Shady Tree (15th Nov 2020 09:03)

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 49 years.