Topic: Should James Bond save the world again?

There was a time when James Bond saved the world in many of his films. But when did it stop? Could a war between North Korea and UK/US in DAD have destroyed the world? Or was the last time Bond saved the world in TND when he stopped a Nuclear war between the UK and China? I think we have to go all the way back to 1983's Octopussy to say Bond unquestionably saved the world when he stopped a war between the Warsaw Pact and NATO.

So should he do it again? I think so. Not the most out-of-this-world plans of Stromberg or Drax where they actuyally want to destroy the whole world. I don't think the audience today will buy that. Not even Bin Laden or Kiim Jung-Un wants that. But General Orlov really belived the WP would win WW3. That kind of villan we can belive, he's comprable to bin Laden and Kim.
I don't think the 007 of the future should save the world in every film. Not even sir Roger did that every time. Possibly every decade or every Bond actor, probably even more seldom. What do you think?

Re: Should James Bond save the world again?

Perhaps he could save the world from a killing virus that has brought most of the world to a grinding halt, wrecking economies, and putting governments on edge, just a thought. ajb007/smile

Well, it'd make a pleasant change from "personal" stories which is all we've been getting for years so I vote yes.

bosoxfan wrote:

Perhaps he could save the world from a killing virus that has brought most of the world to a grinding halt, wrecking economies, and putting governments on edge, just a thought. ajb007/smile

Way too far fetched. No one would ever believe it. In our high-tech world, nothing like that could ever hap.... wot?

I definately think the villan's plans should become more spectacular and visual. Monopolizing water supply or getting access to inteligence data is probably more realistic than the tranditional Bond villan's dreams, but it's not very cinematic. I have an idea where a vilan who hates the West/NATO explodes a nuke in a vulcano in the Canary islands and creates a tsunami in the Atlantic sounds credible enough for a Bond film. Not to mention better than yet another personal mission.

Number24 wrote:

I definately think the villan's plans should become more spectacular and visual. Monopolizing water supply or getting access to inteligence data is probably more realistic than the tranditional Bond villan's dreams, but it's not very cinematic. I have an idea where a vilan who hates the West/NATO explodes a nuke in a vulcano in the Canary islands and creates a tsunami in the Atlantic sounds credible enough for a Bond film. Not to mention better than yet another personal mission.

I like that idea. Based in fact and devastating if successful. In keeping with the realities of today. the delivery of the nuke could even be in keeping with general social-distancing rules, ie at least 2 metres away!

Saving the World is a bit cliched. So no. Saving the UK. Yes.

..................http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

I would love to see a film in the mould of TB or YOLT. Bond is entertainment, it doesn’t have to be true to life.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

It would be a refreshing (not the right word I know) return to see this. So yes, I agree. Fed up of the personal stuff now.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

I get the impression many AJBers want more traditional films after Craig. By traditional I mean mission-oriented plots and more humor and womanizing. Perhaps not full-on Roger, but possibly more like Brosnan.