Tom Ford Suit Alternative

Good evening!

I am looking for some help. Next year I am due to get married, as long as the world has reached some level of normality by then. I will be putting some subtle bond elements into the wedding which will ultimately reach my attire for the day.

I will not be wearing a traditional wedding suit or black tie as it’s just not the style we have in mind for the day. I would like a Tom Ford suit to really tie the subtle bond theme together, but unfortunately I just can’t stretch to that sort of price.

So my question is has anyone had any success in achieving the Tom Ford Bond Suit look for less?

My budget is up to around £1000 and I am open to either made to measure or off the rack with alterations etc. I am also based in the UK and am happy to travel to London etc.

And as a small note I particularly like the Windowpane check from Spectre and the Prince of Wales check from NTTD.

Thanks for reading and as always any help or advice will be greatly appreciated -{

Comments

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    I second Mason & Sons. They can do a very close copy of the Bond Tom Ford suits, including the 3-roll-2 buttoning. I don't think they can do some of the more subtle details like the slight slant of the hip pockets or the barchetta breast pocket, but few can or will do those things. You can really get the same overall look from Mason.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • philwongnzphilwongnz Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    Depending on your size and minus the window pane, why don't you get the real TF? You need to actively hunt on ebay and other 2nd hand sites. There's a 2nd hand designer shop at Marylebone London where they have a bit of TF and around £800 for a full suit. In my experience you need to hunt around, the cheapest I paid for a TF suit was £120 and they averaged around £700ish mark. Also TF should have sales soon and usually is 50% off, which is around £1250ish. I also have 2 3 fold two suits and I got them for around £800.

On a side note if you want a tab collar shirt I think TM lewin does one.
  • BlueBludBlueBlud Posts: 251MI6 Agent
    Thanks for your replies guys!

Mason and Sons looks like a front runner. Have either of you had experience with going to their London store for a full measure and fitting? What turnaround time have you had?

Wow £120 for TF suit! Where do you access their sales? Is it on their website or do you have to visit their store?

Thanks again everyone
  • CharlesRobinsonCharlesRobinson Posts: 53MI6 Agent
    philwongnz wrote:
    Depending on your size and minus the window pane, why don't you get the real TF? You need to actively hunt on ebay and other 2nd hand sites. There's a 2nd hand designer shop at Marylebone London where they have a bit of TF and around £800 for a full suit. In my experience you need to hunt around, the cheapest I paid for a TF suit was £120 and they averaged around £700ish mark. Also TF should have sales soon and usually is 50% off, which is around £1250ish. I also have 2 3 fold two suits and I got them for around £800.

L'Homme Designer Exchange? Great store
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    BlueBlud wrote:

Mason and Sons looks like a front runner. Have either of you had experience with going to their London store for a full measure and fitting? What turnaround time have you had?

Wow £120 for TF suit! Where do you access their sales? Is it on their website or do you have to visit their store?

Thanks again everyone

Great experience. Turn around time was very quick when compared to Huntsman and Poole which are a few moths as standard, haven’t got anything else to compare them too except TF, which was a horrible experience. Just a few weeks with Masons. Not sure what the time would be like at the moment. Give them a shout, they are there still as I spoke to Elliott only a couple of weeks back.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • James BoldmanJames Boldman Amherst, MAPosts: 461MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    I completely agree! I have 2 Mason &Son's suit OTR that fit like they were made for me.
  • MFisherMFisher Posts: 746MI6 Agent
    I have actually had great luck with Oliver Wicks.. As long as you have good accurate measurements you can get nice suits there as well. Plus they often have great sales as well. In the end just going to depend on the budget you have set aside.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    BlueBlud wrote:

Thanks again everyone

Great experience. Turn around time was very quick when compared to Huntsman and Poole which are a few moths as standard, haven’t got anything else to compare them too except TF, which was a horrible experience. Just a few weeks with Masons. Not sure what the time would be like at the moment. Give them a shout, they are there still as I spoke to Elliott only a couple of weeks back.

I think you're comparing Savile Row bespoke with Mason & Sons' Special Order. Mason & Sons bespoke takes months as well because it involves at least two fittings.

BlueBlud, for Mason & Sons' Special Order you'd be trying on a ready-to-wear suit, and they make adjustments from that. If you want the full measure and fitting, that's bespoke and the price is in the same range as a new Tom Ford suit.

I have experience with both Mason & Sons' bespoke and Special Order. While the bespoke is certainly more special and worth the price, the Special Order is wonderful and can do almost anything.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • VandrellVandrell London, EnglandPosts: 324MI6 Agent
    I can also give a nod to Mason and Sons. I have dealt with both Elliot and David at both their London locations and always have an excellent experience at both. I have a couple of suits, a few pairs of trousers, several shirts and a jacket all of which are spot on. I have grabbed a couple of off the peg Savile Row bits and am tempted by some made to measure there but ultimately, I am always drawn back to Mason and Sons as i feel their quality for price just cant be beaten.

I would recommend a visit if you are in the UK and can get to London to be measured. I would also book it at the Montague Square location for your first visit as there is something special about the venue compared to the City one.

Good luck
    philwongnz wrote:

L'Homme Designer Exchange? Great store

Yes!, Sorry i was too lazy to look for the name as I was replying on my phone. The only issues I have at that store is, is very hard to find stuff but the owner knows where things are. Another is the price, the shop does charge seller a 100% markup - most of the time is cheaper on ebay, forum or other 2nd hand sites.
    BlueBlud wrote:

Thanks again everyone

Is eBay mate, I dealt with the seller direct so i saved on fees.
    I am going to throw myself under the bus here (since we seemed to have a few people above who are into tailoring). I think bang for your buck, you can't ignore suit supply (their stuff is full canvas). I have a few friends and acquaintances who are very into tailoring (I am talking they go bespoke and will fly to Naples to get things done,etc) and we always get asked by friends for an affordable suit and its been 100% strike rate with suit supply.

I found the below suit:

[list=*]
    [*]it has barchetta chest pocket (they all do)[/*]
    [*]side adjusters[/*]
    [*]window pane in navy[/*]
    [*]straight pocket (as per TF)[/*]
    [*]notched lapel - slightly 8mm-10mm too wide[/*]
    [*]NO ticket pocket just like TF in JB, normal TF suits usually have a ticket pocket[/*]
    [*]Just a shame is not a 3 fold 2[/*]
    [/list]

P5729_1.jpg

https://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/washington-classic/navy-check-washington-suit/P5729.html?cgid=washington-classic&pdp=true