401

Re: AJB live commentary on LTK

Higgins wrote:
Gymkata wrote:

First off: I'm not bashing anyone who likes this movie.  To each their own, and it would be a boring world if we all liked the same things.

But honestly, this is absolutely one of the worst films in the franchise in my opinion.  The look of the film is terrible with some really bad looking cinematography (especially in the interior scenes) that makes the film feel like an episode of television, the shot compositions are never interesting, and it's all edited together with absolutely zero tension to keep things interesting.  Add in some truly bad acting from .

For a second, I thought that you where speaking about TLD because everything even applies much more to it  ajb007/tongue

I respectfully disagree.  I think TLD has a slightly more polished look to it.

Also, TLD has much better action sequences in it.  Necros in the kitchen fight is actually very well choreographed, shot, and edited, and the final fight with Bond and Necros hanging outside of the cargo plane is borderline exceptional.  Tension is actually generated in the film whereas potentially great sequences in LTK lack any sort of real oomph.

But again, I'm glad people like LTK.  I wish I liked it too.

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>OP>DN>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

402

Re: AJB live commentary on LTK

Gymkata wrote:
Number24 wrote:
Higgins wrote:

So, anybody wants to repeat that LTK looks like a TV episode?

Agreed. The first halves of LALD and TMWTGG are much more TV-like.

Maybe in terms of 'look' but not in terms of direction.  Guy Hamilton at least knew how to compose an interesting shot and properly block action.

Glen's style is workmanlike and unispired. Ridley Scott was makeing "Someone to watch over me" and "Black rain" aroud this time - just the type of edgy, talented director TLD needed.

Last edited by Number24 (18th May 2020 21:40)

403

Re: AJB live commentary on LTK

The Misty Eyes is not a Country-Club, Gymkata!
You should side with your allies and not disagree  and argue  ajb007/biggrin

Last edited by Higgins (18th May 2020 21:40)

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------

404

Re: AJB live commentary on LTK

Gymkata wrote:

But honestly, this is absolutely one of the worst films in the franchise in my opinion.  The look of the film is terrible with some really bad looking cinematography (especially in the interior scenes) that makes the film feel like an episode of television, the shot compositions are never interesting, and it's all edited together with absolutely zero tension to keep things interesting.  Add in some truly bad acting from Talisa Soto, Carey Lowell, some of the extras, and even Dalton in quite a few spots, and it's simply hard for me to engage with the film.

I accept the TV-episode criticism in some scenes, and the bad acting (though it isn't unique in that among Bond films. Exhibit A- Halle Berry. Exhibit B- Tanya Roberts). The film is not perfect but it does show a genuine attempt to capitalise upon the strengths of its leading man- Dalton could never do the one-liners as expertly as Roger Moore, so they're played down- and try to inject something different into the Bond series. The action scenes are genuinely enjoyable (I love the whole sequence from the manta ray to Bond throwing money from the plane) and thrilling (the truck chase is one of the best Bond climaxes, topped by Bond setting Sanchez alight). The plot of Bond infiltrating Sanchez's empire is well-handled and well-acted, as is the whole "Bond as rogue agent screws up another operation" angle.
A weakness is how quickly everything is sorted out at the end, with "happy Felix" and James being accepted back so readily. But- because movie.
Overall, it works for me though I can point out a few weaknesses.

405

Re: AJB live commentary on LTK

Higgins wrote:

The Misty Eyes is not a Country-Club, Gymkata!

ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

406

Re: AJB live commentary on LTK

Barbel wrote:

The film is not perfect but it does show a genuine attempt to capitalise upon the strengths of its leading man.

...and boy did they milk those tear-canals ajb007/biggrin

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------

407

Re: AJB live commentary on LTK

There is some bad acting, but Dalton, Davi and Del Torro deliver some top notch acting. Hidison's acting is very good in the shark scene, but he makes a badly scripted scene worse in his last scene. Like I wrote when we did LALD - he should have been Leiter from LALD to LTK.

Last edited by Number24 (18th May 2020 21:45)

408

Re: AJB live commentary on LTK

Now, at exactly one point in the film Dalton's eyes get wet (though not crying). Bond has just discovered that his best friend has been partially eaten by a shark and that friend's wife has been raped and killed. How is any normal human being not going to be upset by this?

409

Re: AJB live commentary on LTK

You are forgetting the balloon popping scene, the romantic scenes with Kara and so on and so on.
Even when his license is revoked he drops the waterbombs.

And Moore‘s Bond does not cry and nor does Connery

Last edited by Higgins (18th May 2020 21:50)

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------

410

Re: AJB live commentary on LTK

Number24 wrote:
Gymkata wrote:
Number24 wrote:

Agreed. The first halves of LALD and TMWTGG are much more TV-like.

Maybe in terms of 'look' but not in terms of direction.  Guy Hamilton at least knew how to compose an interesting shot and properly block action.

Glen's style is workmanlike and unispired. Ridley Scott was makeing "Someone to watch over me" and "Black rain" aroud this time - just the type of edgy, talented director TLD needed.

I'm a big Ridley Scott fan, but even I will admit that SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER ME is not a good film.  It's great looking (like all of his films, to be fair) but the script is terrible.

BLACK RAIN, though...there are times where I think it may be Ridley's best film.  The restaurant scene near the beginning may be the best directed sequence that he ever committed to film.  Want to learn how to build tension?  Watch THAT scene.

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>OP>DN>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

411

Re: AJB live commentary on LTK

Well, Spielberg's 'Duel' was a TV movie... for some made-for-TV truck action.

I disagree about the LTK shot compositions being poor. Each of the principals has some truly memorable moments in terms of the photography.

The parts of Fleming which were used here... The whole 'He disagreed with something that ate him" plot couldn't have been properly incorporated to the films of any of the Bond actors that had gone before, as it wouldn't have worked as well with their personae. Michael G Wilson chose well his opportunity to do that.

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 49 years.

412

Re: AJB live commentary on LTK

Funny that you mention Duel.

Duel does not have a proper truck chase, the suspense comes not from the chase action.

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------

413

Re: AJB live commentary on LTK

Higgins wrote:

You are forgetting the balloon popping scene, the romantic scenes with Kara and so on and so on.

Different film, Higgy-bum

414

Re: AJB live commentary on LTK

Shady Tree wrote:

Well, Spielberg's 'Duel' was a TV movie... for some made-for-TV truck action.

It's low budget and some of the cinematography reflects this, but the shot composition is usually interesting and the editing is really solid in terms of generating tension.  It's a very good movie.

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>OP>DN>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

415

Re: AJB live commentary on LTK

Lizence revoked another movie?

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------

416

Re: AJB live commentary on LTK

Shady Tree wrote:

The parts of Fleming which were used here... The whole 'He disagreed with something that ate him" plot couldn't have been properly incorporated to the films of any of the Bond actors that had gone before, as it wouldn't have worked as well with their personae. Michael G Wilson chose well his opportunity to do that.

Exactly! Moore couldn't have pulled off the scenes from Fleming used here.

417

Re: AJB live commentary on LTK

I suggest that we are rewatching TLD on Friday just to see how bad it was  ajb007/biggrin

And Barbel can see some massive tearshed  ajb007/tongue

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------

418

Re: AJB live commentary on LTK

Higgins wrote:

I suggest that we are rewatching TLD on Friday just to see how bad it was  ajb007/biggrin

https://media1.tenor.com/images/11339faa091fdfce41a483ccc0f9865a/tenor.gif?itemid=11515138

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>OP>DN>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

419

Re: AJB live commentary on LTK

And I suggest that we ignore that.

420

Re: AJB live commentary on LTK

As always  ajb007/frown

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------

421

Re: AJB live commentary on LTK

It is time for some Brosnan!

422

Re: AJB live commentary on LTK

Ok, Thunderball!  ajb007/lol

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------

423

Re: AJB live commentary on LTK

ajb007/lol  When Brosnan was in school?

424

Re: AJB live commentary on LTK

we're due for TLD next, right?  I'm game for that.  It's a decent (if unremarkable) entry.

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>OP>DN>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

425

Re: AJB live commentary on LTK

TLD is a good Bond movie  ajb007/bond 

N24 out.