Re: AJB live commentary on LTK

Higgins wrote:

But the worst ever part in any Bond movie may be cheerful Felix at the end of the movie.
I hope that I have enough Bollinger in the tank to sit that out without shouting at the screen  ajb007/mad

This.  For a guy who has been maimed and had his wife raped and killed, he's sure a happy lad.

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>GE>OP>DN>FYEO>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

Gymkata wrote:
Higgins wrote:

But the worst ever part in any Bond movie may be cheerful Felix at the end of the movie.
I hope that I have enough Bollinger in the tank to sit that out without shouting at the screen  ajb007/mad

This.  For a guy who has been maimed and had his wife raped and killed, he's sure a happy lad.

Yes, that's a bad scene.

Number24 wrote:
Gymkata wrote:
Higgins wrote:

Yes, that's a bad scene.

The guy has been grieving and suffering, but he's hearing from his old friend, he's recovering physically and the news is that Sanchez and his cartel have been destroyed. Surely he can be allowed a few moments of lighter mood. His ongoing grief can be taken as read. Besides, the film-makers needed briefly to 're-set' Bond's world to normality for the sake of the franchise, restoring Bond to his job with the Secret Service but also positioning the Leiter character in a token scene for possible re-use in the future.

Higgins: surely you wouldn't want even more weeping than there already is?   ajb007/rolleyes

Last edited by Shady Tree (17th May 2020 08:06)

Shady Tree wrote:

The guy has been grieving and suffering, but he's hearing from his old friend, he's recovering physically and the news is that Sanchez and his cartel have been destroyed. Surely he can be allowed a few moments of lighter mood. His ongoing grief can be taken as read. Besides, the film-makers needed briefly to 're-set' Bond's world to normality for the sake of the franchise, restoring Bond to his job with the Secret Service but also positioning the Leiter character in a token scene for possible re-use in the future.

Sorry, I don‘t agree at all.
Even I was in the Secret Service professionally, someone has raped and killed my wife and tortured me with a shark that makes me lose half of my body, I wouldn‘t pop a beer and laugh to celebrate when hearing that the bastard was dead.

Similar to families who have lost their daughters, I doubt that they open some Champagne and throw a party when the murderer has been convicted.
It just doesn‘t happen that way.

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

I find it remarkable that every actor with the exception of Lazenby had a (widely perceived) stinker as their final movie.

Makes me worry, that NTTD may be just that.....

FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

Higgins wrote:
Shady Tree wrote:

Even I was in the Secret Service professionally, someone has raped and killed my wife and tortured me with a shark that makes me lose half of my body, I wouldn‘t pop a beer and laugh to celebrate when hearing that the bastard was dead.

Similar to families who have lost their daughters, I doubt that they open some Champagne and throw a party when the murderer has been convicted.
It just doesn‘t happen that way.

Interesting to see how John Gardner handles this in his novelisation. He goes for a more realistic tone but his passage has a similar 're-setting' function. I doubt those who can't accept the scene in the movie would find this passage much more palatable:

"'Good of you to call, James.' Felix sounded down but not out. 'They're giving me a lot of therapy.'

'The pain goes with time, Felix.' Bond was not talking about physical pain, and he knew all the hurt his old friend was suffering from Della's death. 'I've been there, old buddy. Never leaves you, but it does get easier. Look, I'll be over to see you in a week or two.'

There was a silence at the distant end, then Leiter said, 'Great. I might even be on my new feet by then. Oh, did you know M's been nosing around? Says he wants to see you in London. PDQ.'"

Last edited by Shady Tree (17th May 2020 08:28)

Good of Gardner to spell out he wasn't talking about physical pain there!
Seems slightly inappropriate of Bond to call back to the 'old buddy' line of Killifer's too! ajb007/biggrin

But yeah, that is a much more palatable scene.

Yes, that's much better. But what's PDQ.

Barbel wrote:

You may or may not be pleased to hear that I won't be commenting on the music as much as usual for this film. It's not because I don't rate the score highly (though I don't), but because the OST is probably the worst organised Bond OST with the tracks containing shorter cues melded together.
In addition the OST has some pretty terrible 80s songs only briefly heard in the movie.

'Wedding Party' trades on DN's 'Jump Up'.
'Dirty Love' works in the background to the scene in The Barrelhead Bar but is insufferable as a stand-alone track on the album.
'If You Asked Me To', sung by Patti LaBelle for the end credits, is another piece of disposable 80s fluff and is no more used as a source in the incidental score than the impressive main title track... which is not at all used for cues, as I recall.

I agree about the general disorganisation of the OST. I'd have liked it better if, in place of the long 'compilation' pieces, the various cues had been separated as different individual tracks. Some of them are individually good - moody and effective - and they'd have worked better as selections for any personal Bond Playlist if they'd been broken up and made available in shorter measures.

Last edited by Shady Tree (17th May 2020 20:38)

Number24 wrote:

It's an abbreviation for 'pretty damned quick' which was fashionable at the time.

Shady Tree wrote:
Number24 wrote:

It's an abbreviation for 'pretty damned quick' which was fashionable at the time.

Which in itself cane from the first Retail credit card machines which were supplied by and labelled PDQ.  PDQ machines as they were known. And so someone coined them Pretty Damned Quick machines as the money came out of your account way faster than any other method at the time.

..................http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

Thanks. Now I can use the expression in  a sentence: I think they should get a new script done and hire the next Bond actor PDQ.

Higgins wrote:
Shady Tree wrote:

One other thought... Perhaps we ought to remember that this is the same Felix who was prepared to risk missing his wedding altogether, at the drop of a top hat, all for the chance that "We just might catch the bastard." If he'd had his priorities straight, he could have delegated the job to Hawkins and the DEA and carried on straight to church. And then, during his own wedding reception, he's seen taking time out to file his report and have a business meeting with Pam. I'm not suggesting that his love for Della isn't profound or that his grief at her loss isn't devastating, but it's not altogether inconsistent with his character that he should be talking a little shop with Bond, on the phone, some time after the tragedy, and trying to be a little upbeat about the outcome for Bond. The sort of dialogue which Gardner added to the phone call in the novelisation may well have been considered too ponderous for the end of the movie - involving, as it does, an allusion to Bond's loss of Tracy, further to the one the movie had already afforded us earlier on ("He was married once... but it was a long time ago.")

Sorry, but explaining something that does not look right by all means by something else, that does not look right is not making it any better.

Putting his professional priorities over the upcoming wedding ceremony was done just for dramatic entertainment purposes.
Taking the rape and loss of his wife thru the villain and having been almost killed by the villain would have set Leiter into a different mood, no matter where his professional priorities are. It just doesn‘t make sense and it kind of tasteless ( just like Mathis‘s dumping imo).

I can't believe I'm going to watch this again in an hour.  Ye gods...

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>GE>OP>DN>FYEO>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

I fear tonight will be one of those times where everyone agrees on the quality of the movie, much like when we watched DAD or OHMSS. Don't you agree, Higgins?  ajb007/smile

3 minutes until the countdown starts

Number24 wrote:

I fear tonight will be one of those times where everyone agrees on the quality of the movie, much like when we watched DAD or OHMSS. Don't you agree, Higgins?  ajb007/smile

As I‘ve said many times before, I like LTK much more than TLD.

1 minute

Time reference:

https://greenwichmeantime.com/

Isn't it ten minutes left?

19:00 GMT.

Please get your disks out, start the player and get done with the menus.

Pause right in front of the gunbarrel.

We play the movie at 19:10 GMT precisely

Ready to go here...

7 minutes left!

We start directly in front of the gunbarrel

There is the UA logo after the MGM lion

Is Barbel around for this one?