1

Topic: NTTD N Peal Budget alternative Commando Sweater option

While I like the N Peal Sweater, just not sure if I could fork over the money for it, especially living in Florida, but I would still like something similar.

This is far from the exact thing but LL Bean appears to have a similar Commando Sweater.  It has a different neck opening and no strings but for the price I thought some collectors here might be interested.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/43324?p … r-crewneck


https://i.postimg.cc/2VkSW6fJ/228194-29398-41.jpg

Currently own: NTTD RT Supply jacket Large, MI:Fallout Boss Coram Bomber jacket 40R, CR: Sunspel Polo Large

Currently want: NTTD Massimo Alba Sloop Suit

2

Re: NTTD N Peal Budget alternative Commando Sweater option

@Fastball Special: Thank you for the heads up, I was looking for a budget alternative for the Commando sweater myself.

3

Re: NTTD N Peal Budget alternative Commando Sweater option

PPK 7.65mm wrote:

@Fastball Special: Thank you for the heads up, I was looking for a budget alternative for the Commando sweater myself.

I've been watching this for a few months but it's always backordered!

4

Re: NTTD N Peal Budget alternative Commando Sweater option

https://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/52612/n- … do-jumper/

ajb007/martini

I edit, therefore I am.

5

Re: NTTD N Peal Budget alternative Commando Sweater option

PPK 7.65mm wrote:

@Fastball Special: Thank you for the heads up, I was looking for a budget alternative for the Commando sweater myself.

No problem! I've been looking as well and hopefully this one will come close.

Currently own: NTTD RT Supply jacket Large, MI:Fallout Boss Coram Bomber jacket 40R, CR: Sunspel Polo Large

Currently want: NTTD Massimo Alba Sloop Suit

6

Re: NTTD N Peal Budget alternative Commando Sweater option

MikeG77 wrote:
PPK 7.65mm wrote:

@Fastball Special: Thank you for the heads up, I was looking for a budget alternative for the Commando sweater myself.

I've been watching this for a few months but it's always backordered!

I noticed that and have an order in with them. It doesn't charge until it's in stock so I have no worries waiting.

Currently own: NTTD RT Supply jacket Large, MI:Fallout Boss Coram Bomber jacket 40R, CR: Sunspel Polo Large

Currently want: NTTD Massimo Alba Sloop Suit

7

Re: NTTD N Peal Budget alternative Commando Sweater option

Nice find!  ajb007/martini

Currently own: NTTD RT Supply jacket Large, MI:Fallout Boss Coram Bomber jacket 40R, CR: Sunspel Polo Large

Currently want: NTTD Massimo Alba Sloop Suit

8

Re: NTTD N Peal Budget alternative Commando Sweater option

Hi there - I'm new around here. Joined the forum after discovering The Bond Experience on YouTube - so nice to be surrounded by many like-minded Bond Fans!

Like many of you (particularly in this thread) I'm not so sure that I'm ready to spend $500 on the actual N. Peal Commando Sweater, so I'd like to pick up a "budget" alternative. I see the other options here, but I was sort of hoping for a boat neck to stay faithful to the original look (and also to "try it out" to see if I like that sort of look). I came across this, which seems like it's too good to be true for $70, but I thought I'd see if anyone else had ordered one from this place (or has even heard of them). I think I'll try picking one up - for that price, it's worth the risk of disappointment (and they take PayPal, so I feel reasonably well protected.) Thoughts?

https://www.theleathercity.com/product/ … d-sweater/

9

Re: NTTD N Peal Budget alternative Commando Sweater option

Ribbed cotton with viscose lining?   Weird.

..................http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

10

Re: NTTD N Peal Budget alternative Commando Sweater option

I would stay away from that kind of websites...

11

Re: NTTD N Peal Budget alternative Commando Sweater option

I recommend never buying from those kinds of websites where there are no pictures of the actual product or they 'steal' the product pictures from the original manufacturer. You will find that many less honourable manufacturers in Asia capitalise on the demand for replicas of expensive James Bond-worn clothes, yet often they never show pictures of what you will actually end up with... It's a really dishonest business model that I wouldn't risk being a customer to.

ajb007/smile

12

Re: NTTD N Peal Budget alternative Commando Sweater option

While I totally agree with all of you on this being a "shady" website - the gambler in me is still willing to spend $70 to find out what "ribbed cotton with viscose lining" will actually look like. (Especially since they accept PayPal - which has always proven to be very fair and prompt with disputes.) I'm going to pull the trigger on this one and I'll let you know how it turns out when (if?) it arrives.

13

Re: NTTD N Peal Budget alternative Commando Sweater option

just buy from a surplus store a royal navy commando pullover ( cost about 25 pounds ) cut the lappels off and put a navy bootlace through the neck ( ex forces members will know what im on about )  its not rocket science

14

Re: NTTD N Peal Budget alternative Commando Sweater option

It’s not just the transaction that might be dodgy. The checkout stage may be a scam to get your PayPal or card details.

..................http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

15

Re: NTTD N Peal Budget alternative Commando Sweater option

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Army-Military-C … 0653084571

16

Re: NTTD N Peal Budget alternative Commando Sweater option

Yes - thanks - I do have a few "classic" commando pullovers (in various colors) that I've ordered from surplus stores. I have yet to try the bootlace trick (but I have some laces on order at the moment, so I'll try that when they arrive).

I'm not worried about it being a scam (that's why I only use PayPal in these situations where there isn't a number or account to "steal") but I'm not expecting much by way of quality goods. (A quick Google search on this company returns plenty of quality issues with their leather goods, in particular - so I'm not terribly optimistic.)

Mostly just curious to see if anyone else had purchased one of these. Like I said, I'll report back (and post pictures) when it arrives.

17

Re: NTTD N Peal Budget alternative Commando Sweater option

MaverickFerg wrote:

I'm not worried about it being a scam (that's why I only use PayPal in these situations where there isn't a number or account to "steal")

Well there’s still your name and address. Sure it’s not your card number but I would be very hesitant in even giving those out to dodgy stores.

18

Re: NTTD N Peal Budget alternative Commando Sweater option

And there’s your PP password too which has your credit card numbers and bank account information in it.   Dodgy websites can link you to all kinds of clone payment websites which are very convincing.

..................http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

19

Re: NTTD N Peal Budget alternative Commando Sweater option

MaverickFerg wrote:

Hi there - I'm new around here. Joined the forum after discovering The Bond Experience on YouTube - so nice to be surrounded by many like-minded Bond Fans!

Like many of you (particularly in this thread) I'm not so sure that I'm ready to spend $500 on the actual N. Peal Commando Sweater, so I'd like to pick up a "budget" alternative. I see the other options here, but I was sort of hoping for a boat neck to stay faithful to the original look (and also to "try it out" to see if I like that sort of look). I came across this, which seems like it's too good to be true for $70, but I thought I'd see if anyone else had ordered one from this place (or has even heard of them). I think I'll try picking one up - for that price, it's worth the risk of disappointment (and they take PayPal, so I feel reasonably well protected.) Thoughts?

https://www.theleathercity.com/product/ … d-sweater/

This is another option https://www.outdoorknitwear.com/crew-ne … ;results=1 They recently introduced the blue, with the arm patches as a response to NTTD. This has been in other posts too, not sure who found them first, but whoever it was, thanks

20

Re: NTTD N Peal Budget alternative Commando Sweater option

Thomo wrote:

This is another option https://www.outdoorknitwear.com/crew-ne … ;results=1 They recently introduced the blue, with the arm patches as a response to NTTD. This has been in other posts too, not sure who found them first, but whoever it was, thanks

That one looks nice - but the site doesn't list any sizing guidelines. Just curious if anyone else has purchased one of these? What size did you get and how does it fit? I'm 5'9" ~175 lbs so I'm usually between a small and medium for this type of sweater.

21

Re: NTTD N Peal Budget alternative Commando Sweater option

MaverickFerg wrote:
Thomo wrote:

This is another option https://www.outdoorknitwear.com/crew-ne … ;results=1 They recently introduced the blue, with the arm patches as a response to NTTD. This has been in other posts too, not sure who found them first, but whoever it was, thanks

That one looks nice - but the site doesn't list any sizing guidelines. Just curious if anyone else has purchased one of these? What size did you get and how does it fit? I'm 5'9" ~175 lbs so I'm usually between a small and medium for this type of sweater.

I do have one, I'm about 5'9 and 170 lbs and the M fits me great, it's nicely fitted too. I've been wearing a fair bit since the weather changed as nice and comfortable.

22

Re: NTTD N Peal Budget alternative Commando Sweater option

Sizing info is near the bottom of the page, kind of hidden but here is the link
https://www.outdoorknitwear.com/content/6-sizing-guide




MaverickFerg wrote:
Thomo wrote:

This is another option https://www.outdoorknitwear.com/crew-ne … ;results=1 They recently introduced the blue, with the arm patches as a response to NTTD. This has been in other posts too, not sure who found them first, but whoever it was, thanks

That one looks nice - but the site doesn't list any sizing guidelines. Just curious if anyone else has purchased one of these? What size did you get and how does it fit? I'm 5'9" ~175 lbs so I'm usually between a small and medium for this type of sweater.

23

Re: NTTD N Peal Budget alternative Commando Sweater option

bosoxfan wrote:

Sizing info is near the bottom of the page, kind of hidden but here is the link
https://www.outdoorknitwear.com/content/6-sizing-guide




MaverickFerg wrote:
Thomo wrote:

This is another option https://www.outdoorknitwear.com/crew-ne … ;results=1 They recently introduced the blue, with the arm patches as a response to NTTD. This has been in other posts too, not sure who found them first, but whoever it was, thanks

That one looks nice - but the site doesn't list any sizing guidelines. Just curious if anyone else has purchased one of these? What size did you get and how does it fit? I'm 5'9" ~175 lbs so I'm usually between a small and medium for this type of sweater.

Thank you Thomo & bosoxfan! It does look like the M would be a perfect fit, unfortunately they seem to be out of that size (with the elbow patches) at the moment. (As luck would have it, of course!) I've put in an email to their customer service to see if they will be restocking soon.

24

Re: NTTD N Peal Budget alternative Commando Sweater option

MaverickFerg wrote:
bosoxfan wrote:

Sizing info is near the bottom of the page, kind of hidden but here is the link
https://www.outdoorknitwear.com/content/6-sizing-guide




MaverickFerg wrote:

That one looks nice - but the site doesn't list any sizing guidelines. Just curious if anyone else has purchased one of these? What size did you get and how does it fit? I'm 5'9" ~175 lbs so I'm usually between a small and medium for this type of sweater.

Thank you Thomo & bosoxfan! It does look like the M would be a perfect fit, unfortunately they seem to be out of that size (with the elbow patches) at the moment. (As luck would have it, of course!) I've put in an email to their customer service to see if they will be restocking soon.

That’s a shame I’m sure they will have more. I have a black one too with no arm patches which I wear a lot too. Fingers crossed you’ll be able to get one soon

25

Re: NTTD N Peal Budget alternative Commando Sweater option

Thomo wrote:
MaverickFerg wrote:
bosoxfan wrote:

Sizing info is near the bottom of the page, kind of hidden but here is the link
https://www.outdoorknitwear.com/content/6-sizing-guide

Thank you Thomo & bosoxfan! It does look like the M would be a perfect fit, unfortunately they seem to be out of that size (with the elbow patches) at the moment. (As luck would have it, of course!) I've put in an email to their customer service to see if they will be restocking soon.

That’s a shame I’m sure they will have more. I have a black one too with no arm patches which I wear a lot too. Fingers crossed you’ll be able to get one soon

They reached out to me immediately and said that the website hadn't been updated with the current stock levels. Now it's showing more than 50 units in stock (of the Medium size, with elbow patches) - just in case anyone else wants to order one too.