Re: Our first full EV (Electric Vehicle) ask questions

Great! What brand of car is it?

Will post pics when it arrives in December  ajb007/wink

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------

We know it's green  ajb007/tongue
But is it a Renault Zoe, an e-Golf, Hyundai Ioniq etc? Not that it's any of my business, but I'm curious.

We have a Zoe already  ajb007/wink

It may drive Brexiteers and their picture about me nuts - I have ordered a Mini Cooper SE  ajb007/takecover  ajb007/takecover
With the current promotions and subsidies, it‘s far cheaper to buy than a normal Mini And it drives phantastic!

Now I have to find a way to remove the Union Jack in the taillights and from the leather seats  ajb007/biggrin

And substitute The Union Jack with the EU flag?  ajb007/lol

Higgins wrote:

We have a Zoe already  ajb007/wink

It may drive Brexiteers and their picture about me nuts - I have ordered a Mini Cooper SE  ajb007/takecover  ajb007/takecover
With the current promotions and subsidies, it‘s far cheaper to buy than a normal Mini And it drives phantastic!

Now I have to find a way to remove the Union Jack in the taillights and from the leather seats  ajb007/biggrin

The SE is a very cool little car! I don't see it being very popular over here in Aus however as a full battery only gives a range of around 200-250km, which makes any trips out of the cities near impossible. A few other EV's in similar price ranges offer far greater range out of a charge. Not saying you made a bad decision though Higgins, I'm sure it's perfect for your neck of the woods!

Well, I am fully aware that the max. range of the Mini will be 200-230 km.

Before buying an EV, you certainly must understand what EVs are for and what they are not for.
If I am totally honest, my daily driving usually is between 10 km and 100 km.
So for all these normal days, the Zoe and the Mini easily covers it.

Even when we drive to our beloved Country Cafe or the beaches, it'll cover the 75 km country road to there and back without problems.

I could even charge it up there when we are having a walk to go around the expensive parking fees in Timmendorf by simply charging the car in front of City Hall there.

If I need to visit my parents (700km on the Autobahn) - EVs are not for that.
In those rare cases (twice a year), I'll take my petrol car or rent one over the weekend.

Ever wondered why all those Teslas are not driving on the fast lanes on highways?
I can tell you why! Aerodynamics!

Our Zoe usually has a range of 400 km when fully charged. And I can use that range when doing urban driving or on slower Country Roads. When I go on the Autobahn, the Zoe will be limited to 140 km/h so normally I go on the slow lane and let it be with 120km/h.
When you are doing this, you'll see your range dramatically drop!
After 20 minutes, you'll have a 200km range and it will go down quickly.

Reason is, that the air resistance comes to play and it will easily double and more your power consumption on the EVs.
So, driving on the highway for a longer period is no fun and you'll have to look for a charger very soon.

Speaking about numbers:
Our Zoe battery has a capacity of 50 kw/h
When I am staying in town, I can  get 11kw/h out of her which leads to a range of over 400 km.
I have charged the Zoe yesterday with 37 kw (gives me a range of over 300 km) and I've paid 11 Euros.

For September, I have an interesting experiment:

I can rent an Audi ETRON for a week, including unlimited free charging.
We will drive down to the French Med (Hamburg to Nice = 1500km) and the ETRON will have a range of around 250 km when I drive her on the Autobahn with 130-140.
ETRON battery has 70kw/h but part of the Audi universe are INNOGY Superchargers (mostly along the big highways) with 350KW/h capacity.
That means, that I can charge the Etron up to 80% in 10 minutes!

So, the plan is going down from Hamburg to Basel, then continue thru Switzerland, Lausanne Geneva and then to France till Grenoble with INNOGY Superchargers.
Fron there we have 400 km on Country Roads with one charge on a slower charger until we reach Nice with a net of Superchargers again.

So it should be possible with some planning and you can do such a 1500 km trip in less than 2 days with an EV.
Will see if that theory is right in September ajb007/wink

Higgins wrote:

If it has the Union Jack on it then that will be the least of your worries - as you will have parked it in the sea!
We have the Union Flag

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

Does it have an ejector seat, bullet-proof shield, etc? Just curious.

This may be interesting for our Ducati-friend ajb007/wink

https://www.spiegel.de/auto/fahrkultur/ … 1b61c60804

I‘ve been reading an interesting number:

1 liter of petrol equals to 8,4kw/h of energy.
Our Zoe has a capacity of 50kw/h, which equals 6 liters of petrol.
A full battery brings us 400kms away and that shows how efficient EVs really are.

How far brings your traditional you with 6 liters in the tank?

Higgins wrote:

How far brings your traditional you with 6 liters in the tank?

I'm not sure I've ever drunk that much, but I have staggered home a surprising distance after just a few pints...

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

ajb007/shifty  ajb007/insane  ajb007/cheers