Re: For Your Eyes Only- an Underrated Soundtrack?

I like Bill Conti's score. Never used to. Felt too modern. But I've grown to appreciate it on its own terms, as I have also the scores by George Martin & Marvin Hamlisch. John barry will always be the main man but I'm inclined to prefer a composer who does their own thing rather than slavishly copy the Barry style.

SpectreOfDefeat wrote:

While this one may be less popular, I take a similar view regarding Alice Cooper's rejected Man With The Golden Gun, a hard thrashing glam track that would have continued the enjoyable diversion into rock-based tunes begun by Paul McCartney's Live And Let Die. The grittier more abrasive sound of Cooper's attempt suits the harsher, darker tone of the cinematic Golden Gun, but also retains some semblance of bombastic excesses characteristic of the 'Bond sound' at that point. Its better than Lulu's clattering dirge at least...

I also like Alice Cooper's version - until it breaks into that passage of weird, 50s-sci-fi style of music, as Calvin Dyson has called it. While the gritty, abrasive rock elements work well on their own terms, this isn't really right for either Moore's persona as Bond or Lee's persona as Scaramanga. If Scaramanga had been depicted as a gangster - more of a mob hitman type - then the Cooper track would have fitted better. Albeit slightly confused itself, Barry's track is better suited to Lee's 'Bondian' take on Scaramanga.

Last edited by Shady Tree (14th Nov 2020 13:04)

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 49 years.

Shady Tree wrote:
SpectreOfDefeat wrote:

While this one may be less popular, I take a similar view regarding Alice Cooper's rejected Man With The Golden Gun, a hard thrashing glam track that would have continued the enjoyable diversion into rock-based tunes begun by Paul McCartney's Live And Let Die. The grittier more abrasive sound of Cooper's attempt suits the harsher, darker tone of the cinematic Golden Gun, but also retains some semblance of bombastic excesses characteristic of the 'Bond sound' at that point. Its better than Lulu's clattering dirge at least...

I also like Alice Cooper's version - until it breaks into that passage of weird, 50s-sci-fi style of music, as Calvin Dyson has called it. While the gritty, abrasive rock elements work well on their own terms, this isn't really right for either Moore's persona as Bond or Lee's persona as Scaramanga. If Scaramanga had been depicted as a gangster - more of a mob hitman type - then the Cooper track would have fitted better. Albeit slightly confused itself, Barry's track is better suited to Lee's 'Bondian' take on Scaramanga.

I agree. I do think that Alice Cooper's song is a very good one, but I'll also take Barry's song for the film any day.