26

Re: Higgins’ live commentary on TO CATCH A THIEF

Done.  ajb007/smile

27

Re: Higgins’ live commentary on TO CATCH A THIEF

The bit where they discuss quiche as a rare delicacy is great.

Otherwise it’s a bit dull and the identity of the thief is pretty obvious because there’s only really one character it could be. Also, a car chase done entirely with back projection... no.

28

Re: Higgins’ live commentary on TO CATCH A THIEF

Well, I've obviously seen a different movie then.

Dull? I've seen a vibrant colourful and phantastic movie!
Admittedly not a Classic Hitchcock, but a love story added with suspense.

The actors are top notch, the costume department did overtime, locations are beautiful and the car chase was not a chase but more a ride. Rear projection they did back then on moving cars, there was no way to strap those huge cameras on cars (and eliminate the shattering).

Grant was phantastic and well looking - Grace Kelly was the one and only goddess - no more words needed!

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------

29

Re: Higgins’ live commentary on TO CATCH A THIEF

Higgins wrote:

Well, I've obviously seen a different movie then.


It's more likely you just have a different opinion on it.

It's not massively unusual to regard it as not being great.


Higgins wrote:

locations are beautiful

When they're not just back projection, indeed. A lot of disappointing back projection though.

Higgins wrote:

and the car chase was not a chase but more a ride. Rear projection they did back then on moving cars, there was no way to strap those huge cameras on cars (and eliminate the shattering).

Not sure what you mean really: they're being followed and attempt to evade their followers at speed. I'd say that's almost the dictionary definition of a chase. As for there being no way to mount a camera on a car: the guys following them are being filmed on location with a camera mounted on their bonnet!! Not to mention all of the shots from the bonnet of their car looking forward!  ajb007/lol

My issue with it is that every beat of it is done with back projection rather than seeing the car. Maybe that's fine as Hitchcock was more about the performances, but it doesn't work for me. The drunken car ride in North By Northwest is obviously all done that way but it works for that, not so much here for my money.

30

Re: Higgins’ live commentary on TO CATCH A THIEF

Well shooting from the bonnet facing to the passengers creates not much shatter, filming ahead does.
I thought that you'd know this.....

As for everything else - it seems that you are desperately seeking for arguments for argument's sake and I'll further continue to ignore your comments.

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------

31

Re: Higgins’ live commentary on TO CATCH A THIEF

Higgins wrote:

Well shooting from the bonnet facing to the passengers creates not much shatter, filming ahead does.
I thought that you'd know this.....

That's why I mentioned that they shoot the occupants of the following car, facing to the passengers and filming ahead from Grace's car.  ajb007/biggrin 
Which of the two are you saying they couldn't do?

What I thought you would know is that they use back projection for the shots of Grant and Kelly because they're doing quite a bit of acting and AH is getting all sorts of different angles on them: not because of some sort of made-up reason about 'camera shatter', which you say would only affect the shots facing in the opposite direction anyway!  ajb007/lol 

Higgins wrote:

As for everything else - it seems that you are desperately seeking for arguments for argument's sake and I'll further continue to ignore your comments.

Good grief, Markus. I said at every point it's just my opinion and what works for me. If you're not looking for arguments why did you argue with my proposition that I find it a bit dull or say weird illogical stuff about camera mountings?
You are, as per usual, very hard to talk to.

32

Re: Higgins’ live commentary on TO CATCH A THIEF

I love the new title of the thread   ajb007/lol 

I hope no-one is considering giving up AJB live commentaries because of this, We only need to check beforehand how many will take part.

33

Re: Higgins’ live commentary on TO CATCH A THIEF

I've seen To Catch a Thief described as Hitchcock's funniest film. It's a showcase for the charms of Cary Grant and the beauty of Grace Kelly, and the location of Monte Carlo.
Perhaps if you're expecting a pure thriller it's a disappointment, but all Hitchcocks sit at varying positions along the thriller<>comedy spectrum.

A car chase done with back projection I can accept in a film from the mid50s, it's a technical solution of the time you just have to accept to suspend disbelief.

34

Re: Higgins’ live commentary on TO CATCH A THIEF

Hey Higgins, sorry I wasn't able to attend.  For us in the US, today is the 4th of July, and a lot of businesses (mine included) gave everyone Friday the 3rd off.  The wife and I went out and about yesterday, so I'd have missed it even if it had been a Bond film.

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>OP>DN>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

35

Re: Higgins’ live commentary on TO CATCH A THIEF

I'm looking forward to seeing this film again in the near future. I last saw it at a BFI screening several years ago. Comedy, intrigue, romance and picturesque locations are great ingredients for a 50s movie.

There's no question that, in part, the cinematic James Bond (certainly by the time of GF and Sean Connery's relaxation into the role) is modelled on Cary Grant's star image as exemplified in a film like this - far more so than on the traditionally stuffy figure of the British (specifically, English) 'gentleman spy'.

Cary Grant left for the cinematic Bond a template look and style, characterised by modernity and charisma with transatlantic appeal.

Last edited by Shady Tree (5th Jul 2020 13:06)

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 49 years.