The AJB guide to Male grooming tips and techniques.

ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
Don't think we have a thread for any Grooming tips for us chaps ?

Many of us I'm sure have grown lock down beards and moustaches ( even the men ) and
might benefit from any tips or advice on keeping them neat and tidy. I myself because I'm
intending to grow an " Hungarian " style moustache have ordered some moustache wax
and comb to style it. To go with my Hipster beard.
Although any tips on shaving etc from equipment to Brands, I'm sure
could be of use to us all. Who knows maybe I've been doing it all wrong for years.

One tip I recently found out was that the Royal Marines buy loads of Nivea Moisturiser ....
... Not for skin care reasons but because it's great at keeping insects away.
"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

Comments

• 005005 Posts: 138MI6 Agent
    edited July 2020
    Shaving tips:
    - get a double edge safety razor rather than the multi-blade mach 3-type razors. Much better, cheaper, and less irritating shave! There's no reason not to do it, aside from it taking a short time to learn technique.
    - lather properly. Don't use goop from a can. Get some proper shaving soap or cream (I use proraso sensitive soap, and sometimes a truphit and hill almond shaving cream - there are so many decent ones out there though - Taylor of old bond street is another good brand). Use a badger-hair brush (though I hear synthetic brushes have improved dramatically in the last few years). Look up tutorials on how to get a good lather.
    - Do multiple passes rather than just one. Again, look this up.
    - Play around with brands of razors and blades. I now use a vintage 1960s Gilette Slim Adjustable (the one Bond uses in Goldfinger!) with Derby blades. I started with using a Merkur razor but it was actually a bit too 'aggressive' for my skin.

Hair
    - I use pomades - right now I go between lockhart's 'goon grease' for a stronger hold, lockhart's medium pomade, and grim grease medium water-based pomade. I like the texture that isn't too extreme and that it gives my otherwise dull hair a healthy shine while not making it look too shiny or wet.
    - I don't get my hair cut too short like many men tend to do. I also don't get fades. I get the sides and back cut 'finger length' (not length of a finger) and longer on top. Then slick it back and a little to the side.
    - Don't wash your hair too often if your hair isn't super oily - it'll dry it out and make it look rubbish. You may also find that if your hair is oily, not washing it for a period of time will train your hair to produce less oil and will leave you with more of a natural healthy look and feel.
    - Conditioner.
    - Buy a decent comb. I really like combs made by Kent. Cheap combs 'catch' in your hair and they're quite unpleasant to use. Better combs feel better and they'll give you a smoother look.
    - Remember, hair product isn't so much for 'holding' your hair or styling it a particular direction as it is just to give your hair texture. It's better to blowdry a bit and move your hair into places you want it to 'hold', and when it cools it'll stay put.

Skincare
    - I use dermaveen as a shower wash, and CeraVe fash wash. Don't be too harsh with your skin!
    - Moisturise day and night! Face and neck.
    - Every second night I use 'liquid gold' - a chemical exfoliant that will do wonders to brighten and smooth the surface of your face.

Other tips
    - Trim your ear and nose hair. Trust me. People notice if you don't.
    - Keep your nails neat. Again, people will notice if you don't. Also don't cut them too far back - I find if I cut them any further than a very very small sliver of the white part, it'll start cutting into where the nail attaches to the finger and it's not a good look (or feel).
    - Drink enough water!
    - Floss daily. Brush twice daily with an electric toothbrush.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Some interesting tips {[]
    I too recently got a haircut after a few
    Months, and was so happy. Longer hair
    Takes a lot of looking after, I now have
    My usual QOS short style.
    Along with nose and ear hair, occasionally
    Check your eyebrows for some unwanted
    Long hairs.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • 005005 Posts: 138MI6 Agent
    Sorry Gymkata - my post had an arrogant tone. Do whatever works for you!