26

Re: No Time to Die delayed until April 2nd, 2021

Jarvio wrote:

I didn't realise that they could predict the future, I didn't know that they had a crystal ball. IMO this is idiotic. April 2021? Why? Does their crystal ball say the world will be better by then?

The chance of a scale lockdown in the UK by November 11th is over 50%, the circuit breaker national lockdown is still very, very much on the table. Even with Tenet, Bill & Ted et al in theatres some cinemas that re-opened have closed again due to low (even allowing for capped capacity) numbers. They don't need to tell the future, they can see the present.

Last edited by Royale-les-Eaux (2nd Oct 2020 21:34)

27

Re: No Time to Die delayed until April 2nd, 2021

This is disappointing obviously but I am not even angry at this point just completely over it to be honest. It's still EON's fault - because if they had of stuck with their second release date of Feb 14 2020 this film and Craig would be old news by now.

The one thing that really irritates me is their recent marketing campaign. The Eilish clip, the podcast, all the posters and trailers - They would have known full well two weeks ago that they were going to delay so why continue to mess with fan expectations?

This will have to be the last delay. Any further delays and the public will lack interest for a bond film that is 2 years old.

28

Re: No Time to Die delayed until April 2nd, 2021

Number24 wrote:

Billie Eilish must be a bit annoyed now since she launched her NTTD music video just yesterday. Couldn't they have given her a quiet word ....

And JBR just made their first podcast in months  ajb007/lol

Yeah that is weird.  Nothing left to market

Instagram - bondclothes007

29

Re: No Time to Die delayed until April 2nd, 2021

Yes, one would think there was some syncronization between her people and EON.

30

Re: No Time to Die delayed until April 2nd, 2021

Something must have happened today or a deadline been present that triggered something - maybe they had to let theatres know to release tickets or not - because it does seem really odd to release an official podcast to run over several weeks if you knew the plug was going to be pulled in a matter of days.

It's not like making sure a brand partner can get stock onto the market place that they have to in 2020 for bottom line - which goes double in these straightened times.

31

Re: No Time to Die delayed until April 2nd, 2021

Royale-les-Eaux wrote:

They don't need to tell the future, they can see the present

I know they can see the present, that's not my point, my point is - why April 2021? The world might be no better at that point.

So I say they should have just released it VOD and accept it won't do as well financially.

I know the world is in a terrible state, I'm not denying it, but it's when they promise release dates that gets on my nerves. They can't promise April 2021, unless they have that crystal ball.

1 - Lald, 2 - Ltk, 3 - Avtak, 4 - Op, 5 - Dn, 6 - Fyeo, 7 - Tswlm, 8 - Daf, 9 - Sf, 10 - Ohmss, 11 - Yolt, 12 - Ge, 13 - Tld, 14 - Mr, 15 - Gf, 16 - Tb, 17 - Tmwtgg, 18 - Sp, 19 - Tnd, 20 - Dad, 21 - Twine, 22 - Frwl, 23 - Cr, 24 - Qos

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby

32

Re: No Time to Die delayed until April 2nd, 2021

Royale-les-Eaux wrote:

Something must have happened today or a deadline been present that triggered something - maybe they had to let theatres know to release tickets or not - because it does seem really odd to release an official podcast to run over several weeks if you knew the plug was going to be pulled in a matter of days.

It's not like making sure a brand partner can get stock onto the market place that they have to in 2020 for bottom line - which goes double in these straightened times.

Yeah for sure.   

When I saw the video release yesterday I thought damn it really is going ahead!!

Instagram - bondclothes007

33

Re: No Time to Die delayed until April 2nd, 2021

Jarvio wrote:
Royale-les-Eaux wrote:

They don't need to tell the future, they can see the present

I know they can see the present, that's not my point, my point is - why April 2021? The world might be no better at that point.

So I say they should have just released it VOD and accept it won't do as well financially.

I know the world is in a terrible state, I'm not denying it, but it's when they promise release dates that gets on my nerves. They can't promise April 2021, unless they have that crystal ball.

I know, but theatrical release and big screen experience is in the DNA of Bond. It's event cinema. They will resist and resist and resist VoD, rightly or wrongly. I lean the former by preference.

They're taking the same punt other movies are that 2021 will have seen progress. They're obviously balancing that against wanting to get the film out ASAP so they've gone for what they probably see as the minimum viable delay of 6 months as opposed to late 21 which might be safer but maybe difficult for all sorts of reasons.

It sucks but they're just following their own profile and the rest of the industry.

34

Re: No Time to Die delayed until April 2nd, 2021

But you got to admit: what a way to end DC‘s tenure...with a more than p!ssed off fan-base...

The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
Check it out, you won’t be disappointed ajb007/smile

35

Re: No Time to Die delayed until April 2nd, 2021

AugustWalker wrote:

But you got to admit: what a way to end DC‘s tenure...with a more than pissed off fan-base...

'tis true. Although I do believe there's a stunning film sitting in the can...here's hoping it makes all the   Brexit fade away when it finally rolls.


No small irony of course that the person most desperate for the next chapter is probably DC himself!  ajb007/lol


Praise to the forum admins for brightening a disappointing evening with the discovery that certain expletives are replaced with Brexit! ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

Last edited by Royale-les-Eaux (2nd Oct 2020 22:29)

36

Re: No Time to Die delayed until April 2nd, 2021

Royale-les-Eaux wrote:
Jarvio wrote:
Royale-les-Eaux wrote:

They don't need to tell the future, they can see the present

I know they can see the present, that's not my point, my point is - why April 2021? The world might be no better at that point.

So I say they should have just released it VOD and accept it won't do as well financially.

I know the world is in a terrible state, I'm not denying it, but it's when they promise release dates that gets on my nerves. They can't promise April 2021, unless they have that crystal ball.

I know, but theatrical release and big screen experience is in the DNA of Bond. It's event cinema. They will resist and resist and resist VoD, rightly or wrongly. I lean the former by preference.

They're taking the same punt other movies are that 2021 will have seen progress. They're obviously balancing that against wanting to get the film out ASAP so they've gone for what they probably see as the minimum viable delay of 6 months as opposed to late 21 which might be safer but maybe difficult for all sorts of reasons.

It sucks but they're just following their own profile and the rest of the industry.

Cinema is indeed in the DNA of bond. But I don't think they have a choice here. This virus could be with us for years. What if the virus is still bad in 5 years time, and cinemas are still too risky? Cinemas could even be dead by then. It's awful, but they have no choice or control on this.

Nearing April 2021, there will probably be another delay to November 2021, and so on, and fans will lose faith and interest with each delay.

IMO VOD is the only thing they can do now.

Last edited by Jarvio (2nd Oct 2020 22:32)

1 - Lald, 2 - Ltk, 3 - Avtak, 4 - Op, 5 - Dn, 6 - Fyeo, 7 - Tswlm, 8 - Daf, 9 - Sf, 10 - Ohmss, 11 - Yolt, 12 - Ge, 13 - Tld, 14 - Mr, 15 - Gf, 16 - Tb, 17 - Tmwtgg, 18 - Sp, 19 - Tnd, 20 - Dad, 21 - Twine, 22 - Frwl, 23 - Cr, 24 - Qos

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby

37

Re: No Time to Die delayed until April 2nd, 2021

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu  ajb007/frown

38

Re: No Time to Die delayed until April 2nd, 2021

Gymkata wrote:

It's now up against FAST AND FURIOUS 9 in the USA.  Oooof.  One of them will need to move.

Seems like they heard you! ajb007/biggrin

39

Re: No Time to Die delayed until April 2nd, 2021

emtiem wrote:
Gymkata wrote:

It's now up against FAST AND FURIOUS 9 in the USA.  Oooof.  One of them will need to move.

Seems like they heard you! ajb007/biggrin

Yep, probably going to piss off FNF fans who aren’t into Bond.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RottenTomato … 0616342528

40

Re: No Time to Die delayed until April 2nd, 2021

Hopefully Craig and Ellish still appear on the Tonight Show Monday—it is James Bond Day after all. Probably too late to cancel and make the show find new guests.

41

Re: No Time to Die delayed until April 2nd, 2021

JTM wrote:

Hopefully Craig and Ellish still appear on the Tonight Show Monday—it is James Bond Day after all. Probably too late to cancel and make the show find new guests.

Oh I wouldn't have thought so, plenty of time to cancel. Not ideal for anyone but not much point in doing it now.

42

Re: No Time to Die delayed until April 2nd, 2021

JTM wrote:
emtiem wrote:
Gymkata wrote:

It's now up against FAST AND FURIOUS 9 in the USA.  Oooof.  One of them will need to move.

Seems like they heard you! ajb007/biggrin

Yep, probably going to piss off FNF fans who aren’t into Bond.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RottenTomato … 0616342528

See everyone saying that this damages the film's long-term prospects seem to be forgetting that Bond is (in normal times) one of a few golden-standard tentpoles.

I did more thinking and (I could be wrong) they must really be confident in this film's quality and ability to make the big bucks. They really want DC to get another billion dollar total going out and I think they could get it. As Number24 said, it is highly likely that by April there will be a vaccine available for the vulnerable populations as well as workers which will dramatically change the circumstance regarding the virus and make relatively riskier behaviors less risky.

43

Re: No Time to Die delayed until April 2nd, 2021

Jarvio wrote:

Cinema is indeed in the DNA of bond. But I don't think they have a choice here. This virus could be with us for years. What if the virus is still bad in 5 years time, and cinemas are still too risky? Cinemas could even be dead by then. It's awful, but they have no choice or control on this.

Nearing April 2021, there will probably be another delay to November 2021, and so on, and fans will lose faith and interest with each delay.

IMO VOD is the only thing they can do now.

All you say could come to pass.

But if they want a theatrical release they don't have any choice today but to delay. And they're making the same decision, Marvel, DC and others did over the last few weeks.

44

Re: No Time to Die delayed until April 2nd, 2021

Well this is a bit disappointing, to say the least. What with all the promotion starting up lately, it genuinely looked like Eon were dead set on releasing in November somehow...


But...the BBC and other reputable news sites are now reporting that it is plausible that there'll be a vaccine, and presumably thus some form of normality, in spring 2021. If there's a proper return to normality by then we could see NTTD making $1 billion, and thus ending Craig's tenure on a high- which is what Eon want above all else. That would be the ideal situation for fans too, remember. NTTD is still something to look forward to post coronavirus, we just need to be patient and stay positive.   ajb007/smile

45

Re: No Time to Die delayed until April 2nd, 2021

October 5th they should announce dropping on VOD and put everyone out of their misery.
You've already killed the theatres by delaying anyway. How many cinemas will still be in business for next year?

“The scent and smoke and sweat of a casino are nauseating at three in the morning. "
-Casino Royale, Ian Fleming

46

Re: No Time to Die delayed until April 2nd, 2021

James Suzuki wrote:

October 5th they should announce dropping on VOD and put everyone out of their misery.
You've already killed the theatres by delaying anyway. How many cinemas will still be in business for next year?

They did not kill theaters. An existential threat combined with ineffective responses by governments "killed" theaters. Governments could just, you know, cut checks to theaters to cover fixed costs until operations resume.

47

Re: No Time to Die delayed until April 2nd, 2021

BlindManBaldwin wrote:
James Suzuki wrote:

October 5th they should announce dropping on VOD and put everyone out of their misery.
You've already killed the theatres by delaying anyway. How many cinemas will still be in business for next year?

They did not kill theaters. An existential threat combined with ineffective responses by governments "killed" theaters. Governments could just, you know, cut checks to theaters to cover fixed costs until operations resume.

Theaters are open in much of the US and, guess what, people aren't going. Business owners may want people to behave as if there is no pandemic, but we won't. I have no doubt that cinema will be changed forever by this. But so will many things. Restaurants, airline travel, business meetings, fashion, etc.

The thing about this latest postponement that galls me is thinking of all the delays prior to the pandemic. If they'd even stuck with their February 14, 2020 date, they'd have been fine and had the highest grossing film of the year. The movie would be have made a mint on-demand and Blu-Ray while people were stuck at home, too.

48

Re: No Time to Die delayed until April 2nd, 2021

AugustWalker wrote:

I simply cannot second all if the „right move/ smart decision“-commentaries over on Instagram.

This is getting ridiculous, we‘ve got the 5th release date/ 4th postponement for this movie now.
EON is trying to sit things out, casually postponing the thing ever so close to the actual release.

Member Miles Messervy has said it quite correctly:
They waste to much time in between the movies, this time it was waiting forever and a day for DC to make his mind up and then the debacle with the directors.

Truth is: nobody knows where the world will be going in the forseeable future let alone April next year so it’s bloody optimistic of them to postpone it to then.

Pretty sure the average movie-goer/ casual Bond-fan will loose interest at a certain point.

They should really face the facts and come to terms with alternate ways of distribution!
smfh

Agree!

49

Re: No Time to Die delayed until April 2nd, 2021

AugustWalker wrote:

I simply cannot second all if the „right move/ smart decision“-commentaries over on Instagram.

This is getting ridiculous, we‘ve got the 5th release date/ 4th postponement for this movie now.
EON is trying to sit things out, casually postponing the thing ever so close to the actual release.

Member Miles Messervy has said it quite correctly:
They waste to much time in between the movies, this time it was waiting forever and a day for DC to make his mind up and then the debacle with the directors.

Truth is: nobody knows where the world will be going in the forseeable future let alone April next year so it’s bloody optimistic of them to postpone it to then.

Pretty sure the average movie-goer/ casual Bond-fan will loose interest at a certain point.

They should really face the facts and come to terms with alternate ways of distribution!
smfh

Most casual, general audience types don't know a film's release until they see ads for it. People's memories are fickle and short — once it's March and they see ads during the March Madness games, they'll go see it.

50

Re: No Time to Die delayed until April 2nd, 2021

I just hope that when we get closer to April and the marketing starts up again, we don’t get too much more footage released—need to save something for the actual movie.