Re: No Time to Die delayed until April 2nd, 2021

I admit my joy/hype/excitement has dropped with all the delays, but I know for certain that whenever the film actually gets released at the cinema and I go in, buy my tickets, get my popcorn, find my seat, settle in and then finally through the darkness hear the Bond theme and see the gunbarrel, I'll feel like a damn kid on Christmas morning.

JTM wrote:

I admit my joy/hype/excitement has dropped with all the delays, but I know for certain that whenever the film actually gets released at the cinema and I go in, buy my tickets, get my popcorn, find my seat, settle in and then finally through the darkness hear the Bond theme and see the gunbarrel, I'll feel like a damn kid on Christmas morning.

I expect this to be the case for myself, and I think most people would feel this way. The excitement will be there when we’re watching it. When I saw the clip from the film shared on Jimmy Fallon, despite seeing so many photos and shots in the trailer from the scene, it felt entirely fresh. I think the whole film will feel fresh too.

But I can’t say how any of us will feel when it’s all over. I was excited to see every one of Craig’s films when they came out. Yet none excite me today like OHMSS or MR still do some 20 viewings later. Most likely the film will have the same effect on us delay or no delay.

The delays have giving me more time to wonder why Blofeld and Swann are returning. Both were utterly underwhelming characters in the dreadful Spectre film. The script writers worry me and the extra time has made me think about the director. Apart from True Detective and the Alienist which I really enjoyed I’m not keen on anything else he’s done. I always hope for the best but for me all films since CR have disappointed in some ways. QoS has improved over multiple viewings and the first half of Skyfall has been the same. Both Skyfall and Spectre showed to me that quality actors don’t always make good Bond villains. I always want and hope for the best so I’m hoping it all works out.

Yes. Considerably!

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lukey_sparrow/

ichaice wrote:

Apart from True Lies and the Alienist which I really enjoyed I’m not keen on anything else he’s done.

True Detective...you must not have enjoyed it that much  ajb007/wink

I have been kind of burnt out on NTTD the last month or so. But like others have said I'm sure I'll be as excited as ever once I'm actually in the theater to watch it.

@deanwdunlevy

So Wonder Woman 1984 is sticking with its Christmas Day release but is also going to be released simultaneously on HBO Max in the US. Could be an option for NTTD...but which service?

https://ew.com/movies/wonder-woman-1984 … 00013cdcd0

Internationally, where there's no HBO Max, there's a cinema release only on Dec 16.

Last edited by JTM (19th Nov 2020 00:29)

JTM wrote:

So Wonder Woman 1984 is sticking with its Christmas Day release but is also going to be released simultaneously on HBO Max in the US. Could be an option for NTTD...but which service?

Internationally, where there's no HBO Max, there's a cinema release only on Dec 16.

That's the big barrier. WW84 aided by being owned by Warner, who has HBO Max.

BlindManBaldwin wrote:
JTM wrote:

The irony is that WW84 was to be released on Nov 1, 2019 and all indications are it was ready to be released. It was delayed in the belief a summer 2020 release would earn more money.

BlindManBaldwin wrote:
JTM wrote:

NTTD is a co-production between MGM and Universal Pictures; Universal Pictures is a division of NBCUniversal; NBC Universal owns the streaming services Peacock and has a 33% stake in Hulu (Disney owns 60%).

I think Peacock is just TV shows so what about Hulu? I believe Hulu already has the whole Bond series in its catalogue, as well as the doco Becoming Bond (and the MI and Bourne series') so NTTD would fit right in there. Buuuuut like HBO Max, Hulu is only US...

JTM wrote:
BlindManBaldwin wrote:
JTM wrote:

NTTD is a co-production between MGM and Universal Pictures; Universal Pictures is a division of NBCUniversal; NBC Universal owns the streaming services Peacock and has a 33% stake in Hulu (Disney owns 60%).

I think Peacock is just TV shows so what about Hulu? I believe Hulu already has the whole Bond series in its catalogue, as well as the doco Becoming Bond (and the MI and Bourne series') so NTTD would fit right in there. Buuuuut like HBO Max, Hulu is only US...

Universal just has international distribution rights IIRC, they weren't involved in the production. That's why MGM was shopping it to Netflix and Apple at one point and not Universal. Though, I could have my information confused so anyone please correct me if I am.

Really, at this point I think I have two firm beliefs based on news:

1. EON, who based on reporting has a veto right over streaming, is committed to a theatrical release.

2. Theatrical release will be possible sometime in 2021 due to tremendous, almost miraculous success in vaccination development.

April may be dicey, but I think Summer 2021 isn't impossible. I know in my state, DHHS has said ~March/April general population will get vaccinations.

And frankly, risk plummets tremendously once health care workers and high-risk populations get vaccinated.

All comes down to the success of OPERATION WARP SPEED (sidenote: doesn't that sound like a Bond villain's plan name  ajb007/lol )

BlindManBaldwin wrote:
JTM wrote:
BlindManBaldwin wrote:

Universal just has international distribution rights IIRC, they weren't involved in the production. That's why MGM was shopping it to Netflix and Apple at one point and not Universal. Though, I could have my information confused so anyone please correct me if I am.

Really, at this point I think I have two firm beliefs based on news:

1. EON, who based on reporting has a veto right over streaming, is committed to a theatrical release.

2. Theatrical release will be possible sometime in 2021 due to tremendous, almost miraculous success in vaccination development.

April may be dicey, but I think Summer 2021 isn't impossible. I know in my state, DHHS has said ~March/April general population will get vaccinations.

And frankly, risk plummets tremendously once health care workers and high-risk populations get vaccinated.

All comes down to the success of OPERATION WARP SPEED (sidenote: doesn't that sound like a Bond villain's plan name  ajb007/lol )

I think your post is spot on. If all goes well with the vaccine, my guess is EON will opt for a late November 2021 release date and not try to jockey for position with all the other tentpoles that will be looking for a summer release.
The Wonder Woman HBO Max release news is very interesting but not totally surprising. HBO/HBO Max is owned by Warner Media and is deeply embedded with Warner Bros Studio in resurrecting the DC Universe. HBO Max will be showing the much anticipated mini series version of the "Snyder Cut" of the Justice League movie (which Warners poured over 73 Million into) and there are plans for several high budget DC Universe TV series on HBO Max. No question, HBO/Warners is trying to go head to head with Disney+/Marvel and raising up the ante by offering the highly anticipated tentpole, Wonder Woman 1985 at no extra premium charge (unlike Disney who were hitting up subscribers and extra $30.00 to stream Mulan). The only issue I see with HBO Max is the lack of 4K HDR capability (although HBO Max streams at a much high bitrate than regular HBO, Showtime, etc and looks much better).
One has to wonder if in competing with Disney and all its high zoot franchises, the folks over at Warners might be a good candidate to buy out MGM's stake in Bond....hmmm.