RGT Supply / Ridgeline Jacket

Hey guys, FINALLY got the RGT jacket. Need advice from anyone who’s had theirs tailored. I just need to shorten the sleeves, and noticed the cuff is a little unique so I definitely dont want to just wing it when I take it to the tailor. Any of you gents have any recommended methods your tailor used if you had this alteration done?

Comments

• Hart008Hart008 Posts: 710MI6 Agent
    would like to tailor them too, the length of the arms and the underarm area a bit too big . hope you get some info soon, i was even thinking of buying an M and selling my L but the body length on the L is already just right
    Yes i did ride the CAT
  • MyselfMyself Posts: 64MI6 Agent
    A good tailer usually „open“ the sleeve on the shoulder cut it there and sew on the sleeve on the jacket again. Never touch the cuff if sleeves have to be shorten.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Myself wrote:
    A good tailer usually „open“ the sleeve on the shoulder cut it there and sew on the sleeve on the jacket again. Never touch the cuff if sleeves have to be shorten.

Good tailors only remove the sleeve at the shoulder if an adjustment from the cuff isn't possible due to buttonholes being in the way. The shape of the sleeve tapers a lot at the top and may be too tight or may not fit well into the armohole if shortened from the top. So shortening from the cuff is usually much safer. This goes for suit jackets and shirts.

Does this jacket have a separate cuff that can be removed an reattached? If not, the shoulder is the only way it can be shortened, but not by very much.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Cg23Cg23 Posts: 242MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Myself wrote:

Good tailors only remove the sleeve at the shoulder if an adjustment from the cuff isn't possible due to buttonholes being in the way. The shape of the sleeve tapers a lot at the top and may be too tight or may not fit well into the armohole if shortened from the top. So shortening from the cuff is usually much safer. This goes for suit jackets and shirts.

Does this jacket have a separate cuff that can be removed an reattached? If not, the shoulder is the only way it can be shortened, but not by very much.

It doesnt really have a separate cuff that could be reattached, which is how I’ve gotten 99% of all my outerwear done. This cuff is almost like a folded under and sewn but with a slight angled shape so not just a regular squared off cuff, if that makes sense. All my Belstaff and nice outerwear tends to have the cuff as a separate piece so it makes shortening pretty simple and virtually undetectable. Anytime I’ve ever asked about the shoulder for anything, shirts, jackets, etc., they always say no. I saw The Bond Experience in his 2nd RGT video where he sized up and got his tailored including the sleeves and it looked great so it made me think it has to be doable but for the life of me I cant figure out how they did it. Just cutting the sleeve and putting an entirely new buttonhole isnt common is it?
  • km1fdmkm1fdm USAPosts: 211MI6 Agent
    I live with a tailor, and can tell you Matt S is correct. There isn’t another way to do it.
  • Cg23Cg23 Posts: 242MI6 Agent
    km1fdm wrote:
    I live with a tailor, and can tell you Matt S is correct. There isn’t another way to do it.

Oh I totally agree. Im no expert but I’m fairly decent with understanding how things are tailored but I’d never come close to Matt’s knowledge so it is greatly appreciated! I was just curious which way people were doing it since those are the only ways, if anyone with that jacket had maybe got the cuff moved up and how it turned out with the original makeup of the sleeve. Pretty much figured most wouldnt just completely cut the cuff off and redo an entirely new buttonhole, but was curious how anyone who had theirs worked on turned out. I appreciate all the feedback so far!