Re: Other iconic castings are comparable to Connery as Bond?

Number24 wrote:

I think Star Wars would have been a success with a range of actors in the part as Luke Skywalker. If any casting choise was important in the origional trilogy it was Harrison Ford.

Yes agreed there, although I think even if you had a lesser actor in the Solo role the films would still have been a hit. Unlike Bond or Indy or Dirty Harry or Pink Panther, I don't think Star Wars' success hinged upon casting.

Lynda Carter-Wonder Woman

"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine

Patrick McGoohan as Number 6

Jodie Foster AND Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs

James Stewart as George Bailey (among others)

“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung

not cinema, but Jim Parsons as Dr. Sheldon Cooper

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------

Number24 wrote:

I think Star Wars would have been a success with a range of actors in the part as Luke Skywalker. If any casting choise was important in the origional trilogy it was Harrison Ford.

Very cute story about this. I've never mentioned what I do for a living on this site (I don't think). I'm a grocery clerk. A number of years ago Time Life did a tribute magazine to Harrison Ford. On the cover of this magazine was some of Harrison Fords most iconic roles. One of the roles featured was Han Solo. One day a man came in and was holding his son who was no more than three years old. This child saw the magazine cover and with great joy and excitement started to squeal "Han Solo"........"Han Solo"........ It was one of the cutest things I've seen.

Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope

There are some great iconic castings here!

DaltonFan1 wrote:

Patrick McGoohan as Number 6

Does this count as a casting? The Prisoner was McGoohan's brainchild, pitched to Lord Grade after the former's success with Danger Man (Secret Agent in the US), so it wasn't quite like the others where actors were selected for a particular role.

Either way, though, you're right DaltonFan1: as Number Six, no-one could ever replace Patrick McGoohan. ajb007/martini

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

Clint Eastwood - "Dirty" Harry Callaghan
Christopher Reeve - Superman/Clark Kent
Harrison Ford - Indiana Jones & Han Solo
Tom Cruise - Pete "Maverick" Mitchell

In TV, I would say Larry Hagman as JR Ewing in Dallas must be up there.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I hardly think these are in the same leage as Connery as Bond, Chaplin as the Tramp and Harrison Ford  as Indiana Jones:

Jackman as Wolverine
Rutger Hauer as Roy Batty
Burt Reynolds as the Bandit.
Robert Shaw as Quint in Jaws
Jim Parsons as Dr. Sheldon Cooper
Julia Roberts as Vivian Ward in Pretty Woman

Christopher Lee - Dracula
Peter Cushing - Baron Frankenstein and Van Helsing
Max Schreck - Nosferatu
Roger Moore - James Bond
Marlon Brando - Don Vito Corleone
Liza Minnelli - Sally Bowles
Sylvester Stallone - Rocky Balboa
Anthony Hopkins - Hannibal Lecter
Harrison Ford - Indiana Jones and Han Solo
Christopher Reeve - Superman
Clint Eastwood - Man With No Name
Sigourney Weaver - Ellen Ripley
Matt Damon - Jason Bourne
William Shatner - Captain Kirk
Basil Rathbone - Sherlock Holmes (Rathbone's image and portrayal is iconic, but Jeremy Brett will always be Holmes for me)

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Sylvester Stallone as Rocky Balboa

“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung

Number24 wrote:

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I hardly think these are in the same leage as Connery as Bond, Chaplin as the Tramp and Harrison Ford  as Indiana Jones:

Jackman as Wolverine
Rutger Hauer as Roy Batty
Burt Reynolds as the Bandit.
Robert Shaw as Quint in Jaws
Jim Parsons as Dr. Sheldon Cooper
Julia Roberts as Vivian Ward in Pretty Woman

Well, you did set the bar high in your question! It's hard to think of many. The only one I can think of is Desmond Llewelyn as Q.

I don't think Q qualifies, even though he is loved. The bar is high and it should be. The Tramp, Indiana Jones, Rocky, Rambo, The mam with no name (technically they were three different characters with names, but ...) and a few more. There are very few.

Wesley Snipes as Blade ?

“God has given you one face, and you make yourself another"

Really? Blade as iconic as  Connery's Bond?

(I'm aware I'm not being very sympatic here, but it seems wrong to just nod and agree to anything.)

No as always you"re right. It"s wrong
Of us to voice an opinion, but then
Why ask for suggestions  from
Others only to sh1t all over them  ajb007/rolleyes
Just print your list and have done
With it.

“God has given you one face, and you make yourself another"

I was hoping for more of a debate on this, actually. In my opinion this get boring fast if everyone just lists who they think is as iconic as Connery as Bond. It gets more interesting if people offer their opinion, positive or not, about the suggestions.
If people have opinion about my suggestions too, that's okay, even though I may disagre and express it.
That being said I should probably have phrased my comments about the Blade suggestion in a better way.

Not cinema but tv, Aidan Turner as Poldark.

I think the suggestion of Downey Jr as Iron Man is an interesting one, mostly because I'm not sure I quite agree with it, and yet I think it might still be right! ajb007/smile
I don't put Iron Man quite up there myself; but a lot of people have now grown up with him as Stark, and it was a damned good and very fresh performance across a whole slew of movies. And in fact you could even say that one original performance got the whole MCU thing going and off to a flying start, so I think he'd have to be up there.
I'd probably even say that if you're going for people I'd say who are properly iconic casting for superheroes it'd be only him and Christopher Reeve making the list. Maybe Chadwick Boseman, but that would be more for the culture around the film rather than the performance itself, good though it was.
Funnily enough, even after all of the countless attempts we've seen, I don't think anyone has really made Batman their own: there's no Connery of Batman. Bale would probably be closest I guess but I don't he shaped it to himself particularly.

The Spy Who Never Dies wrote:

Not cinema but tv, Aidan Turner as Poldark.

I think if you're going for TV, as good as he was, there are so many others I'd put over him for that. David Jason as Delboy, Cleese as Fawlty, Thaw as Morse, Falk as Columbo, Rigg as Mrs Peel, Tom Baker as Doctor Who, Hickman as Marple, Guinness as Smiley, Cumberbatch and Brett as Holmes etc.

I think characters like Q or Number 6 are definitively the creation of those actors who first developed them. Both are iconic, I've seen both specifically parodied in other films/tv/comics. Other actors have played Q since, and there was a dreadful attempt to remake the Prisoner a couple years back. Those characters cannot be successfully reinvented by another actor.

the remake test is a good one. Does Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka make anybody forget Gene Wilder? nobody I know.
Usually if the original interpretation was memorable, any attempt at a remake must either replicate (which is pointless) or go against type (which usually doesnt work). A bit like the challenge of a musician trying to cover a classic recording.

Basil Rathbone  is a really good example of an iconic portrayal, in a number of ways.
Basil Rathbone played Sherlock Holmes eighty odd years ago, the characters been portrayed by dozens (hundreds?) of actors since, yet Rathbone is still the definitive portrayal. Certainly not Downey or Cumberbatch even if they're most recent.
And there were Sherlock Holmeses onscreen before Rathbone no one remembers. And the character was an adaptation, first visualised by those Sidney Paget drawings. Yet we all know Sherlock Holmes looks and acts like Rathbone.
I bet people who've never even seen an actual Rathbone film know Sherlock Holmes certainly doesnt look like Tony Stark.

caractacus potts wrote:

I think characters like Q or Number 6 are definitively the creation of those actors who first developed them. Both are iconic, I've seen both specifically parodied in other films/tv/comics. Other actors have played Q since, and there was a dreadful attempt to remake the Prisoner a couple years back. Those characters cannot be successfully reinvented by another actor.

I wouldn’t count Q in that. It was a fun performance but it’s not one of the most iconic in cinema: it’s a fun little comedy character.

caractacus potts wrote:

Basil Rathbone  is a really good example of an iconic portrayal, in a number of ways.
Basil Rathbone played Sherlock Holmes eighty odd years ago, the characters been portrayed by dozens (hundreds?) of actors since, yet Rathbone is still the definitive portrayal. Certainly not Downey or Cumberbatch even if they're most recent.
And there were Sherlock Holmeses onscreen before Rathbone no one remembers. And the character was an adaptation, first visualised by those Sidney Paget drawings. Yet we all know Sherlock Holmes looks and acts like Rathbone.
I bet people who've never even seen an actual Rathbone film know Sherlock Holmes certainly doesnt look like Tony Stark.

I think it’s debatable as to whether he acts like Holmes all of the time, but regardless he’s certainly an iconic Holmes. But I’d say he shares that with Cumberbatch and Brett: they’re the big three who owned the role and are most associated with it.

Many iconic roles mentioned, but surprising nobody has mentioned Marlon Brando as Don Vito Corleone.

Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope

I would also chuck Eddie Murphy as Axel Foley in the mix, along with Jim Carrey as Ace Ventura (as bizarre as it sounds).  Other ones that spring to mind would be Stallone as Rocky Balboa / John Rambo, along with Russell Crowe as Maximus.  Possibly also Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates?

Orson Welles as Harry Lime.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".