Bond and M in TMWTGG

nobodynobody Posts: 110MI6 Agent
Just an appreciation...as poor as I think most of TMWTGG is, I really like the interaction between Bond and M. I especially like the twinkle in M’s eye when Bond says “if I found him (Scaramanga) first that might change the situation..” and M replies “dramatically..wouldn’t you say?”

Comments

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent
    That moment aside, M is irascible with his subordinates in TMWTGG, cross with what he perceives as incompetence. Britain was in the doldrums at that point in the 70s, and I wonder whether this abrasive iteration of M was meant to reflect, obliquely, the impatience of the wartime generation with the way the country seemed to be going to hell in a handcart.
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • SpectreOfDefeatSpectreOfDefeat Posts: 404MI6 Agent
    I agree. Similarly, its notable that the bleak atmosphere of contemporary Seventies politics factors into the background plot mechanics of TMWTGG in the same scene, where Bond protests to M that his mission to find Gibson is necessary in order to solve the looming world energy crisis.

"The spectre of defeat..."

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    I agree. Similarly, its notable that the bleak atmosphere of contemporary Seventies politics factors into the background plot mechanics of TMWTGG in the same scene, where Bond protests to M that his mission to find Gibson is necessary in order to solve the looming world energy crisis.

It's one of the few down-to-earth plots in Moore's Bond films. The crisis is not overblown in the film, but it is taken seriously. That is something I rather admire about the film. I think the film is Moore's weakest Bond, but I appreciate Bernard Lee's performance, just as I appreciate the other Lee's performance. Right from the start it's one of Bond's most low-key adventures. It would feel like an episode of the television show if it weren't for the Asian location filming and the car jump. But I really like everyone who is in the film (even Britt Ekland), and it's people like both Lees who hold it all together.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,172MI6 Agent
    Bernard Lee is terrific in GG.
    I like the fact he's finally losing patience with his errant agents. His attitude neatly sums up my opinion of the whole film.