26

Re: Strawberry Fields Goes Woke

Nicely put,  C&D

27

Re: Strawberry Fields Goes Woke

emtiem wrote:

Whenever anybody (well, any white man) uses the word ‘woke’ in a serious manner I always see it as a very insecure thing.

Ding ding ding

A lot of Bond fans who spat out the term derisively would be quite disappointed in the beliefs and views of just about every creative involved with their favorite franchise  ajb007/lol

28

Re: Strawberry Fields Goes Woke

HalfMonk HalfHitman wrote:
emtiem wrote:

Whenever anybody (well, any white man) uses the word ‘woke’ in a serious manner I always see it as a very insecure thing.

Ding ding ding

A lot of Bond fans who spat out the term derisively would be quite disappointed in the beliefs and views of just about every creative involved with their favorite franchise  ajb007/lol

I think it goes without saying that most presume the entertainment industry generally leans in the same political direction.

And thank you for making my point. Yes, "woke" has indeed become a negative term to some (regardless of color; racist much?) simply because the concept has become the virtue signaler's social compliance billy club. Reasonable people aren't opposed to differing viewpoints. Reasonable people are opposed to being seemingly force-fed those viewpoints along with the risk of being shamed, canceled, or worse if they're perceived as disagreeing with any part of a "movement."

Anyhoo, perfectly stated C&D.

I edit, therefore I am.

29

Re: Strawberry Fields Goes Woke

Cajun wrote:
HalfMonk HalfHitman wrote:
emtiem wrote:

Whenever anybody (well, any white man) uses the word ‘woke’ in a serious manner I always see it as a very insecure thing.

Ding ding ding

A lot of Bond fans who spat out the term derisively would be quite disappointed in the beliefs and views of just about every creative involved with their favorite franchise  ajb007/lol

I think it goes without saying that most presume the entertainment industry generally leans in the same political direction.

And thank you for making my point. Yes, "woke" has indeed become a negative term to some (regardless of color; racist much?) simply because the concept has become the virtue signaler's social compliance billy club. Reasonable people aren't opposed to differing viewpoints. Reasonable people are opposed to being seemingly force-fed those viewpoints along with the risk of being shamed, canceled, or worse if they're perceived as disagreeing with any part of a "movement."

Force fed? Did Gemma come to your house and say this on your front steps? If you're a champion of differing viewpoints (spoiler: you aren't), you wouldn't be starting a thread called "Strawberry Fields Goes Woke" and trying to shame her out of having her opinion. "She owes the franchise" etc., *infinite j/o motion*

White guys claiming to be victims of "racism" - what's the opposite of virtue signaling?  ajb007/rolleyes

Anecdotal, of course, but folks throwing around "woke" and "virtue signaling" usually get around to saying some racist s h it sooner or later. Bond fans tired of left-leaning politics should probably go become Scott Baio or James Woods superfans because there's every indication that the pilots of your favorite IP are against just about everything you stand for. (Purvis & Wade called Trump a real-life Bond villain, good stuff)

How's that for going woke? Happy new year!

30

Re: Strawberry Fields Goes Woke

Charmed & Dangerous wrote:

I don't have any issue with equality, empowerment, or diversity, but I do think her attitude is a little disappointing.

Would I accept the same jobs now that I did in my 20s? No. But am I glad that I took them back then, as they helped as a springboard to my career? Yes. I'd like to think I'd show more gratitude to my early employers for giving me a chance than Gemma Arteton does by undermining her role in QoS.

She doesn't say she regrets it, just that she wouldn't take it now.
And the issue of giving good roles to women is a bit important to speak about in public than being nice to an employer she worked for 12 years ago. Not that she's even being very nasty.

Charmed & Dangerous wrote:

" She added, "But as I got older I realized there was so much wrong with Bond women." "

Bit of a sweeping generalisation I'd say. Does this include Dame Judi Dench, for instance? Certainly Olga Kurylenko's part is more fully fleshed out, but Fields is a smaller, supporting role. Should everyone who's played a henchman complain that there's so much wrong with the way these parts are written, when they are beaten by Bond?

There are always exceptions to the rule. Dench got good stuff, but not all of them did. Most didn't, in fact. It's a tough sell to say she's typical of all Bond women.

Charmed & Dangerous wrote:

Ultimately, I'd argue it certainly helped her career to have appeared in a Bond film, and a little more graciousness wouldn't go amiss.

She really doesn't say anything as bad you think. She's clearly grateful for the money(!) but says she gets criticism for taking it, and actually defends her choice for taking it.

Last edited by emtiem (31st Dec 2020 20:12)

31

Re: Strawberry Fields Goes Woke

HalfMonk HalfHitman wrote:

How's that for going woke? Happy new year!

I really don’t know how this conversation became about race. Well actually, why wouldn’t it have.

So if people are tired of leftist politics, they should be shamed and go align with other shamed personalities. Leftism is the only socially acceptable path. Oh, and don’t forget the go-to “you’re probably racist” tag if someone doesn’t agree. Got it.

Again, thank you for making my point.

I edit, therefore I am.

32

Re: Strawberry Fields Goes Woke

Cajun wrote:
HalfMonk HalfHitman wrote:
emtiem wrote:

Whenever anybody (well, any white man) uses the word ‘woke’ in a serious manner I always see it as a very insecure thing.

Ding ding ding

A lot of Bond fans who spat out the term derisively would be quite disappointed in the beliefs and views of just about every creative involved with their favorite franchise  ajb007/lol

I think it goes without saying that most presume the entertainment industry generally leans in the same political direction.

And thank you for making my point. Yes, "woke" has indeed become a negative term to some (regardless of color; racist much?) simply because the concept has become the virtue signaler's social compliance billy club. Reasonable people aren't opposed to differing viewpoints.

But you're opposed to and upset because a woman said she didn't think a role she played was up to much? You've literally said that you agree that Bond women roles aren't very good but have been triggered because a woman said the same thing. It's very odd.

And no, you misunderstand: 'woke' is a negative word now because it's pretty much exclusively by those criticising anything they deem to be even vaguely promoting diversity of sex or race. It's a bit of a flag to tell you that the person using it has some fairly unpleasant and 20th century opinions, and is more than likely a white man.

The 'and that makes you the racist, actually!' is a bit of a classic one, too. I get the feeling you're in the US so won't get the reference, but Laurence Fox goes in for that one a lot too and it's always funny ajb007/smile

Cajun wrote:
HalfMonk HalfHitman wrote:

How's that for going woke? Happy new year!

I really don’t know how this conversation became about race. Well actually, why wouldn’t it have.

Because you said 'racist'?

Cajun wrote:

So if people are tired of leftist politics, they should be shamed and go align with other shamed personalities. Leftism is the only socially acceptable path. Oh, and don’t forget the go-to “you’re probably racist” tag if someone doesn’t agree. Got it.

Yes, that's what you did. Just then. Up there. "regardless of color; racist much?"

The term 'woke' refers to social justice, particularly in regards to race. If you didn't realise it meant that, look it up.

Last edited by emtiem (31st Dec 2020 20:10)

33

Re: Strawberry Fields Goes Woke

Time to break out the Lavender and Chamomile oils, I've re-arranged my stones ( chakra )
and am sending  nothing but love and good vibes across the web   ajb007/martini

"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

34

Re: Strawberry Fields Goes Woke

Thunderpussy wrote:

Time to break out the Lavender and Chamomile oils, I've re-arranged my stones ( chakra )
and am sending  nothing but love and good vibes across the web   ajb007/martini

To Gemma Arterton? ajb007/wink

35

Re: Strawberry Fields Goes Woke

To everyone Friend  ajb007/wink  We usually get along here, perhaps we could all take a breath ( But with
a mask on obviously ) and agree to disagree on things but still wish each other a Happy New
Year. After all we're not all perfect ( Although I'm pretty close ) during this debate, I'm sure we've
all perhaps got a little heated at times, Myself included  ajb007/crap  we're only human.  So I apologise to
all for being a bit snippy.
   I have enjoyed the work of Miss Arterton and will continue to do so. I can only hope in years to
come she may look more fondly on her role in QOS and still campaign for stronger roles for women.

"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

36

Re: Strawberry Fields Goes Woke

emtiem wrote:

Whenever anybody (well, any white man) uses the word ‘woke’ in a serious manner I always see it as a very insecure thing.

Since you insist on going down this path, see above for the first mention of race in this thread. It was irrelevant to the conversation and can only be interpreted as a snarky racist comment. No skin color is immune to racism. Debate it all you like. ajb007/rolleyes

And Merriam-Webster defines woke as: chiefly US slang: aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice).

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/woke

It doesn't say anything about exclusivity to racial issues.

And I never said Bond women roles weren't good. They're just fairly predictable. You definitely enjoy putting words in people's mouths and labeling them accordingly. It's getting stale.

Last edited by Cajun (31st Dec 2020 20:38)

I edit, therefore I am.

37

Re: Strawberry Fields Goes Woke

Cajun wrote:
emtiem wrote:

I can defend the Bond films too but I can also see their flaws, I don’t think they’re perfect and I feel secure enough not to feel the need to personally attack those who observe them. Whenever anybody (well, any white man) uses the word ‘woke’ in a serious manner I always see it as a very insecure thing.
I’m not a fan of hers; you’ve shown you know more of her films than I do. Still, as you can’t actually defend your accusations by answering my questions I’ll wish you a Happy New Year too.

This was the first mention of race in this thread. It was irrelevant to the conversation and can only be interpreted as a snarky racist comment. No skin color is immune to racism. Debate it all you like. ajb007/rolleyes

I mentioned white men because that's what the reverse of 'woke' means: I hope you've looked it up by now. And if you're trying to claim you're somehow being made the victim of racism then I really think you need to take a long hard look at yourself. Maybe spend some time researching the effects of real racism on people less fortunate than yourself.

You claim this stuff is being 'rammed down your neck', and yet what's happened here is that you've happened across an article where a woman says an old role of hers wasn't as well-written as she'd go for nowadays, and then spent time googling other incidences of this article, and then claimed that it's being 'rammed down your neck'. What is it she's forcing down your neck, exactly?

It's not quite the same as the way the superiority of men has been forced down our necks, including by these very films, for decades, if not hundreds of years, is it?

Cajun wrote:

And Merriam-Webster defines woke as: chiefly US slang: aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice).

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/woke

It doesn't say anything about exclusivity to racial issues.

Yes, neither did I ajb007/wink
As I said, white men use it to decry anything they see as promoting the existence of women/non-white people beyond the level which they find comfortable. It's just something they have to get through.

Last edited by emtiem (31st Dec 2020 20:43)

38

Re: Strawberry Fields Goes Woke

emtiem wrote:
Cajun wrote:
emtiem wrote:

I can defend the Bond films too but I can also see their flaws, I don’t think they’re perfect and I feel secure enough not to feel the need to personally attack those who observe them. Whenever anybody (well, any white man) uses the word ‘woke’ in a serious manner I always see it as a very insecure thing.
I’m not a fan of hers; you’ve shown you know more of her films than I do. Still, as you can’t actually defend your accusations by answering my questions I’ll wish you a Happy New Year too.

This was the first mention of race in this thread. It was irrelevant to the conversation and can only be interpreted as a snarky racist comment. No skin color is immune to racism. Debate it all you like. ajb007/rolleyes

I mentioned white men because that's what the reverse of 'woke' means: I hope you've looked it up by now. And if you're trying to claim you're somehow being made the victim of racism then I really think you need to take a long hard look at yourself. Maybe spend some time researching the effects of real racism on people less fortunate than yourself.

You claim this stuff is being 'rammed down your neck', and yet what's happened here is that you've happened across an article where a woman says an old role of hers wasn't as well-written as she'd go for nowadays, and then spent time googling other incidences of this article, and then claimed that it's being 'rammed down your neck'. What is it she's forcing down your neck, exactly?

It's not quite the same as the way the superiority of men has been forced down our necks, including by these very films, for decades, if not hundreds of years, is it?

Cajun wrote:

And Merriam-Webster defines woke as: chiefly US slang: aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice).

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/woke

It doesn't say anything about exclusivity to racial issues.

Yes, neither did I ajb007/wink
As I said, white men use it to decry anything they see as promoting the existence of women/non-white people beyond the level which they find comfortable. It's just something they have to get through.

Whatever man. Keep moving the goalposts.

The SJW wannabe act is getting old. Move on.

Happy 2021.

I edit, therefore I am.

39

Re: Strawberry Fields Goes Woke

And with that, I believe this thread has run its course. Closing it.