1

Topic: SHOCK and HORROR!

I guess I may be knocked to the ground and subjected to an internet beating for this, but here goes.......

I am a James Bond fan but I am not a fan of some of the James Bond films.

There are some that I love and will watch over and again (which is good because ITV4 repeats them all the time!) but I think others are terrible. I haven't watched some of them at all - but this is because of the actor who I think is the worst James Bond of all.

Some of the films I like then they fall out of my favour and there are some which I did not care for the first time of viewing which I now like.

I don't think Dr No is a particularly good film, but I enjoy it and watch it regularly simply because Sean Connery's performance gets better each time I see him.

I thought Thunderball was a very poor film. Having watched it a few times it has gone up in my opinion.

I love all but two of the Roger Moore films and two of my enduring favourites are Octopussy and AVTAK! I know these are controversial to many people.

My own like is for the older films, though I have recently watched Casino Royale (which I always thought was a good - but over long) QoS, SF and Spectre again. I never cared for these three last films but they too have now gone up in my rankings.

2

Re: SHOCK and HORROR!

I enjoy all the Bond films, Yes, some are better than others, but I can find enjoyment in all of them.
With the obvious exceptions of the 1967 CR and the ( Only my opinion ) The god damn awful NSNA.

"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

3

Re: SHOCK and HORROR!

I love all the Bond films from the 20th century. I don't have any special feelings for the films of this century, though I still watch them, just not as much. I strongly feel that it's worth seeing each Bond film at least once.

Visit my blog, Bond Suits

4

Re: SHOCK and HORROR!

Joshua wrote:

I guess I may be knocked to the ground and subjected to an internet beating for this, but here goes.......

I am a James Bond fan but I am not a fan of some of the James Bond films.

There are some that I love and will watch over and again (which is good because ITV4 repeats them all the time!) but I think others are terrible. I haven't watched some of them at all - but this is because of the actor who I think is the worst James Bond of all.

Some of the films I like then they fall out of my favour and there are some which I did not care for the first time of viewing which I now like.

I don't think Dr No is a particularly good film, but I enjoy it and watch it regularly simply because Sean Connery's performance gets better each time I see him.

I thought Thunderball was a very poor film. Having watched it a few times it has gone up in my opinion.

I love all but two of the Roger Moore films and two of my enduring favourites are Octopussy and AVTAK! I know these are controversial to many people.

My own like is for the older films, though I have recently watched Casino Royale (which I always thought was a good - but over long) QoS, SF and Spectre again. I never cared for these three last films but they too have now gone up in my rankings.

BURN THE INFIDEL!  ajb007/mad

5

Re: SHOCK and HORROR!

It's a long series, Joshua, you don't have to like all of them.

6

Re: SHOCK and HORROR!

But I am curious - who is the actor Joshua really can't stand to the point he won't watch any of his films?

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

7

Re: SHOCK and HORROR!

Joshua wrote:

I haven't watched some of them at all - but this is because of the actor who I think is the worst James Bond of all.

Hmm, Dalton or Brosnan?

8

Re: SHOCK and HORROR!

You’re not alone, Joshua, there are some Bond movies which I am unlikely to watch again. But you should try to watch each one at least once. Brosnan, for me, is the weakest Bond by far, only TND stands up as a decent movie, but that’s just my opinion, how GE gets so much love is beyond me, I think it’s dreadfully mundane.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

9

Re: SHOCK and HORROR!

I truly am the Happiest Bond fan in the world,  ajb007/martini  I love them all ( except the two unofficial )
Obviously everyone has a valid opinion, but I feel all the actors have brought "Something" to
the role. Then again, I also enjoy all the Die Hard movies, including 5  ajb007/biggrin so Perhaps I'm simply
easy to please.

"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

10

Re: SHOCK and HORROR!

I don't want to start an argument, because I know the person I am referring to is the favourite James Bond for some people, but I cannot simply stand to watch him on the screen as Bond (It is not the man, because I have seen him in a couple of films which were not bad, but his portrayal as Bond. I do not think he was ever up to the role, spending more time pouting and posing and with no air of menace about him). I Have bought some of his bond films (there were more than two! ajb007/wink ) on DVD and watched them but he and the films themselves are simply not to my liking at all.

As I said, I do not want to upset any one, and my opinion is just that, my opinion.

I Like Octopussy and AVTAK after all, which proves that taste is a very individual thing!

11

Re: SHOCK and HORROR!

An argument on AJB,   I can't imagine that  ajb007/biggrin

"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

12

Re: SHOCK and HORROR!

Thunderpussy wrote:

An argument on AJB,   I can't imagine that  ajb007/biggrin

Just so long as we don't have a vote on it, or anyone doesn't like the outcome of that vote, we should be fine! ajb007/wink

13

Re: SHOCK and HORROR!

I really don‘t get the need to speak in riddles...

What is so hard to say >>I don‘t like actor X and his Bond movies<<?

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------

14

Re: SHOCK and HORROR!

I think you can name the actor without any risk to life and limb, Joshua  ajb007/smile

15

Re: SHOCK and HORROR!

I think he already has....

16

Re: SHOCK and HORROR!

He always did enjoy a good pose  ajb007/shifty

a reasonable rate of return

17

Re: SHOCK and HORROR!

Okay. You have already guessed. I am sorry to those who think he is the best James Bond and I mean no offence to you but Pierce Brosnan is the worst of the Bond actors in my opinion. I have seen two of his films and was underwhelmed by them all, in fact I tried to watch another one (I forget the title, but the one where he has the remote controlled car?) but only made it to about half an hour before turning off.

As I said, no offence is meant to any one.

I am definitely a Sean Connery and Roger Moore fan. Also I believe George Lazenby to be a great Bond.

18

Re: SHOCK and HORROR!

ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  I never would have guessed  ajb007/wink

"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

19

Re: SHOCK and HORROR!

The one with the remote controlled car is TND. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion and I will defend your right to that (although I disagree). No-one is forcing you to watch movies you don't like with an actor you don't like.
Me, I don't like Craig but he's in two of my favourite Bond movies. That's the way it is!

20

Re: SHOCK and HORROR!

Barbel wrote :

"No-one is forcing you to watch movies you don't like with an actor you don't like."

You haven't met Mrs TP !! ajb007/biggrin

"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

21

Re: SHOCK and HORROR!

ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

22

Re: SHOCK and HORROR!

Barbel wrote:

The one with the remote controlled car is TND. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion and I will defend your right to that (although I disagree). No-one is forcing you to watch movies you don't like with an actor you don't like.
Me, I don't like Craig but he's in two of my favourite Bond movies. That's the way it is!

No one could force me! I am just aware that people with different tastes have different favourites for different reasons. PB will be loved and thought the best Bond by many. I can see no argument about my thoughts about Sean Connery, or many about Roger Moore, but I'm sure a lot will not like George Lazenby (the other of my three favourites), which is of course they are perfectly entitled to say to me.

23

Re: SHOCK and HORROR!

Joshua wrote:
Barbel wrote:

The one with the remote controlled car is TND. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion and I will defend your right to that (although I disagree). No-one is forcing you to watch movies you don't like with an actor you don't like.
Me, I don't like Craig but he's in two of my favourite Bond movies. That's the way it is!

No one could force me! I am just aware that people with different tastes have different favourites for different reasons. PB will be loved and thought the best Bond by many. I can see no argument about my thoughts about Sean Connery, or many about Roger Moore, but I'm sure a lot will not like George Lazenby (the other of my three favourites), which is of course they are perfectly entitled to say to me.

You don't like Pierce Brosnan? Let's settle this like gentlemen. You and me. Outside. Now.

























Dance-off.

24

Re: SHOCK and HORROR!

Hi Joshua, many are saying you should watch every Bond film once, just to be fair.

Here are two reasons why should maybe should not if they are Pierce Brosnan movies.

The first I will give to you emotionally, the second rationally.

Firstly, Bond movies are: you do what you want. It's a laugh. Dutiful watching of Bond films? Screw that. It's meant to be a blast.

Secondly. The Bond films pilfer themselves. Sometimes that's fun and part of the buzz. 'Ooh I recognise that!' Other times they do it because they run out of ideas. But there's every chance that the next Bond film No Time To Die will pilfer past Bonds. Not least because the director Danny Boyle passed, so they had to rewrite large chunks. I've avoided trailers but even with the 10-20 mins I've seen, I recognise stuff filched from past Bonds, and also from discarded scenes listed in the superb Bond book Some Kind of Hero.

I don't like SF but others do and it seems to me it borrows from TWINE, a film I do like.

So if you see Pierce Brosnan films on our advice, there's a good chance that NTTD will be sullied for you because when you're watching it you'll be thinking, oh, okay, this is the plot or set-piece I've seen from a previous Bond, starring an actor I didn't really care for.

Therefore: Avoid.  ajb007/smile

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

25

Re: SHOCK and HORROR!

I definitely would not want to see NTTD while thinking about Pierce Brosnan!