Re: Ranking the Connery Films

1...FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE  10/10

One of the best stories from Fleming faithfully put onto the screen, fantastic characters in Grant and Klebb and one of the most beautiful Women in the series Tanya.

Pros...Script, Locations, Acting, FANTASTIC.
Cons..None

2...GOLDFINGER  10/10

Absolutely exceptional opening credits sequence, Bond looking fantastic in his white tux, blowing up a heroin plant somewhere exotic, great line "shocking , positively shocking" before the greatest ever Bond theme, titles are fantastic.
Great Car, Connery on top form.

Best scene ever in a Bond film on the table with the laser.

3...THUNDERBALL   9/10

A fantastic film, one of the best scores in the series, without doubt the best looking women in any Bond film, fantastic underwater sequences, fantastic script and love the interactions between Largo and Bond.

Loved Blofeld in this.

Cons...Sped up film at the end when the Disco Volante crashes on the rocks.

4...DR NO 8/10

Class film, no cons , all pro's, fantastic introduction to James Bond.

5...YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE  6/10

Pro's  Fantastic score, Gorgeous locations. great pre credits sequence, copied in TSWLM

6...DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER ...5/10

A fat bored Connery, rubbish script, a very camp Blofeld compared to OHMSS, terrible acting and the first 30 mins is dire, Amsterdam is the most unglamorous location of alltime. picks up when Bond goes to Las Vegas. Terrible ending with oil Rig getting attacked.

Pros...........Jill St John in a bikini, Moon Buggy chase, Las Vegas "lean over " chase.

Cons..........Camp Blofeld, rubbish story, Awful last twenty mins/ending.

One of the worst Bond films ever and it's not as good as the Austin Powers series.

I smell a rat

Willard Whyte wrote:

A fat bored Connery, rubbish script, a very camp Blofeld compared to OHMSS, terrible acting and the first 30 mins is dire, Amsterdam is the most unglamorous location of alltime. picks up when Bond goes to Las Vegas. Terrible ending with oil Rig getting attacked.

Pros...........Jill St John in a bikini, Moon Buggy chase, Las Vegas "lean over " chase.

One of the worst Bond films ever and it's not as good as the Austin Powers series.

Funny how you took your username from what you think of as one of the worst Bond films ever.  ajb007/lol

Matt S wrote:
Willard Whyte wrote:

Funny how you took your username from what you think of as one of the worst Bond films ever.  ajb007/lol

All the great names had been taken, WW was funny in that film  ajb007/tongue 

Might be one of the worst Bond films but it's still ac Bond film  ajb007/bond

I smell a rat

Purely out of enjoyment I have watching the film. If I was being objective on the quality of the films it would most certainly be different.

1.Diamonds are Forever
2.From Russia With Love
3.Dr No
4.Goldfinger
5.You Only Live Twice
6.Thunderball

Diamonds are Forever is so much fun and entertaining and I guess in the end that is all that matters!

"Mango, banana and tangerine. Sugar and ackee and cocoa bean!"

DR NO-ah wrote:

Diamonds are Forever is so much fun and entertaining and I guess in the end that is all that matters!

Hey, if it entertains you, that's fine with me.

It's not my idea of entertainment, but different Bond fans are entertained by different things.

"Hostile takeovers.  Shall we?"

1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. OP 5. TSWLM 6. MR 7. TWINE 8. TMWTGG 9. OHMSS 10. FRWL 11. L&LD 12. SF 13. LtK 14. YOLT 15. DN 16. QoS 17. DAD 18. AVTAK 19. CR 20. TB 21. FYEO 22. DAF (SP to be included later; GE to be rewatched and re-ranked)
1) Brosnan 2) Dalton 3) Moore 4) Connery 5) Lazenby and Craig

Here goes....
1. FRWL
2. GF
3. DN
4. TB
5. YOLT
6. DAF

As much as I love GF I just prefer the sheer class of FRWL. Again it is close between DN and TB both brilliant Bond films. I like the fact that DN is a Bond film without any filler whereas TB occasionally drags. YOLT is a fun film. I have actually started to enjoy watching DAF a lot more recently but it is still my least favourite Connery Bond film.  ajb007/martini

1.ohmss  2.cr  3.frwl  4.ltk  5.gf  6.tswlm  7.sf  8.op  9.tld  10.dn  11.lald  12.tb  13.fyeo  14.ge  15.mr  16.yolt  17.tnd  18.avtak  19.sp  20.twine  21.qos  22.tmwtgg  23.daf  24.dad

The Wicker Man wrote:

Here goes....
1. FRWL
2. GF
3. DN
4. TB
5. YOLT
6. DAF

As much as I love GF I just prefer the sheer class of FRWL. Again it is close between DN and TB both brilliant Bond films. I like the fact that DN is a Bond film without any filler whereas TB occasionally drags. YOLT is a fun film. I have actually started to enjoy watching DAF a lot more recently but it is still my least favourite Connery Bond film.  ajb007/martini

TWM, have you seen NSNA?  I personally haven't, but I'm just curious.

1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. OP 5. TSWLM 6. MR 7. TWINE 8. TMWTGG 9. OHMSS 10. FRWL 11. L&LD 12. SF 13. LtK 14. YOLT 15. DN 16. QoS 17. DAD 18. AVTAK 19. CR 20. TB 21. FYEO 22. DAF (SP to be included later; GE to be rewatched and re-ranked)

Agent Purple wrote:
The Wicker Man wrote:

Here goes....
1. FRWL
2. GF
3. DN
4. TB
5. YOLT
6. DAF

TWM, have you seen NSNA?  I personally haven't, but I'm just curious.

I have Agent Purple. If I was to include it in my Connery Bond film rankings it would be last. It's not that good in my opinion. I don't watch it often but it has it's moments. At least Connery is in it.  ajb007/martini

1.ohmss  2.cr  3.frwl  4.ltk  5.gf  6.tswlm  7.sf  8.op  9.tld  10.dn  11.lald  12.tb  13.fyeo  14.ge  15.mr  16.yolt  17.tnd  18.avtak  19.sp  20.twine  21.qos  22.tmwtgg  23.daf  24.dad

The Wicker Man wrote:

If I was to include it in my Connery Bond film rankings it would be last. It's not that good in my opinion. I don't watch it often but it has it's moments. At least Connery is in it.  ajb007/martini

It has some cool moments & lines, but overall I like (for comparison) DAF WAAAAY better.

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

chrisisall wrote:
The Wicker Man wrote:

If I was to include it in my Connery Bond film rankings it would be last. It's not that good in my opinion. I don't watch it often but it has it's moments. At least Connery is in it.  ajb007/martini

It has some cool moments & lines, but overall I like (for comparison) DAF WAAAAY better.

I agree.

NSNA doesn't belong in Bond rankings because it's not a real Bond film. Even if it was better than Connery's Bond films, it still shouldn't be mentioned along with the others.

Matt S wrote:
chrisisall wrote:
The Wicker Man wrote:

I agree.

NSNA doesn't belong in Bond rankings because it's not a real Bond film. Even if it was better than Connery's Bond films, it still shouldn't be mentioned along with the others.

I'm not sure if Blackleiter or Barbel would agree.

Agent Purple wrote:
Matt S wrote:
chrisisall wrote:

I agree.

I'm not sure if Blackleiter or Barbel would agree.

I don't mind lumping it in myself, but it'd be among the bottom with the other Bond's I don't need to own (MR, CR'67...). Having the best Felix Leiter is its only real distinction.

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

1) From Russia with love - Love the plot and atmosphere of this one
2) You only live twice - The girls in this one are mega-pretty, as well as the locations,sets and action! Although i find the part of the film where he gets married to be a bit tedious .
3) Thunderball - I love the locations, and lot of scenes are entertaining in it, but some scenes drag sometimes.
4) Goldfinger - Really great film, though about 3/4 into the film it slows down a bit, also I was disappointed they went away from the spectre stuff.
5) Dr.no -  I like this film despite the fact it isn't as grand as its successors.
6) Diamonds are forever- Some entertaining sequence but overall I see it as the weakest film in the bond canon.

I like pizza hut

There is already at least one existing thread somewhere on the forum on this very topic, but I'll give my rankings anyway (BTW they have changed from my list from that thread):

1. TB
2. FRWL
3. GF
4. YOLT
5. DN
6. DAF

If I were to include NSNA, it would be equal 4th with YOLT.

"Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."

1. You Only Live Twice
This movie has almost always been my favorite, it's my most-watched, it reveals Blofeld, Connery does some good acting and funny lines, good action, great scenery/locations, and even greater Bond girls. This movie is just non-stop action and thrills for me, will most likely always be my favorite. I also love the song and the entire beginning of this movie is fantastic.
It ranks at number one in my overall list.

2. From Russia With Love
Objectively, this is one of the best movies in the Bond franchise. Believe or not, this movie is an actual spy movie! *gasp*
Very dialogue and character heavy, and even though I think there were some scenes that were unnecessary, it makes a great suspenseful and more serious Bond film from the Connery era.
It ranks at number nine in my overall list.

3. Goldfinger
This movie has only gotten worse after viewing it so many times, not to say it's a bad movie, far from it, but take away the iconic scenes and it's a badly paced almost boring Bond movie. Even though Connery looks great, he doesn't do much, and spends the majority of the movie not saying much or being moved to a different prison.
It ranks at number fourteen in my overall list.

4. Thunderball
Connery Bond looks great in GF, but he never looks sexier or acts more suave than the epic movie of Thunderball. Domino is one of the best Bond girls, Connery Bond is hilarious every moment he's on screen, and give or take some scenes that drag on too long, and this movie has some great action, and iconic scenes. I used to really dislike this movie, but after a recent viewing, I appreciate it more. Though.. there are some, awkward and .. strange scenes in the movie I can't help but dread everytime I watch the movie. In a lot of ways, It's better than GF. It's not perfect, but it doesn't deserve all the flak it gets.
It ranks at number eighteen in my overall list.

5. Dr. No
This movie is.. good. It's just, well, not as good as others. This movie has all the right elements needed for a Bond film, but nearly every other movie does the exact same thing, but much better. The ending is a little anti-climatic too, and I just don't get the same enjoyment out of this as I do with all the other films.
It ranks at number twenty in my overall list.

6. Never Say Never Again
Not a terrible movie, but not a good one either. Very peculiar movie, but despite that, it's very entertaining, and it certainly is an improvement on a certain other Connery movie..
It would rank at least twenty-two if I had it on my list.

7. Diamonds Are Forever
Oh this movie, oh man. This could have been so much more. It's the only Bond film I dislike, and I would actually go out of my way to not watch it. Not only does it just ignore one of the greatest Bond pictures, OHMSS, casts Charles Gray as Blofeld, it makes a joke out of Connery, and sometimes unintentionally. Blofeld is completely nonthreatening, Connery looks like he aged 20 or 30 years, and has bad makeup and toupee. It somehow makes Las Vegas a dull and boring looking setting. Jill is my least favorite Bond girl, after Bond's wife, she's a disappointment. I get they tried to make her a "rebellious independent American girl" or whatever, but she ends up making wrong decisions and needing Bond's help anyways, and she's always annoyed me whenever I watch the movie. The plot could have been interesting, but honestly I stopped caring about it halfway through the movie, and Connery was so out of place in the goofy and over the top world of DAF. It honestly makes me feel bad to watch this one.
It's currently my least favorite Bond movie, twenty fourth place.

1. TLD 2. CR 3. OP 4. OHMSS 5. FYEO 6. AVTAK 7. TSWLM 8. GF 9. FRWL 10. SF 11. LTK 12. TB 13. QOS 14. YOLT 15. LALD 16. DN 17. TWINE 18. GE 19. TND 20. MR 21. TMWTGG 22. SP 23. DAF 24. NSNA 25. DAD
1. Roger 2. Timmy 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. George 6. Pierce

ThunderRaker wrote:

4. Thunderball
Connery Bond looks great in GF, but he never looks sexier or acts more suave than the epic movie of Thunderball. Domino is one of the best Bond girls, Connery Bond is hilarious every moment he's on screen, and give or take some scenes that drag on too long, and this movie has some great action, and iconic scenes. I used to really dislike this movie, but after a recent viewing, I appreciate it more. Though.. there are some, awkward and .. strange scenes in the movie I can't help but dread everytime I watch the movie. In a lot of ways, It's better than GF. It's not perfect, but it doesn't deserve all the flak it gets.

I'm curious as to know what particular scenes you are referring to?  Dalton in 'LTK' when he looks at Pam Bouvier and his eyes are about to explode or Moore in 'TMWTGG' when he chases Nick Nack around a cabin I can relate to as being cringeworthy.

I think the choreography at the end in the 'Disco Volante' leaves a lot to be desired but I can't honestly think of any strange or awkward moments in the film at all.

Last edited by OGG007 (9th Jan 2016 07:08)

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974; It's a scientific fact". -  Homer J Simpson

OGG007 wrote:
ThunderRaker wrote:

4. Thunderball

I'm curious as to know what particular scenes you are referring to?  Dalton in 'LTK' when he looks at Pam Bouvier and his eyes are about to explode or Moore in 'TMWTGG' when he chases Nick Nack around a cabin I can relate to as being cringeworthy.

I think the choreography at the end in the 'Disco Volante' leaves a lot to be desired but I can't honestly think of any strange or awkward moments in the film at all.

I have always seen the spine-stretching scene as if Connery Bond was humping the machine. The close up thrusting motions it makes doesn't help either. Bond almost blackmailing and threatening the nurse/employee to have sex in the beginning of TB always seemed hard to explain to non-Bond friends, and the ending scene with the projection hasn't aged well.

But they don't bother me really, I just like the other films more, just as I also like Thunderball.

1. TLD 2. CR 3. OP 4. OHMSS 5. FYEO 6. AVTAK 7. TSWLM 8. GF 9. FRWL 10. SF 11. LTK 12. TB 13. QOS 14. YOLT 15. LALD 16. DN 17. TWINE 18. GE 19. TND 20. MR 21. TMWTGG 22. SP 23. DAF 24. NSNA 25. DAD
1. Roger 2. Timmy 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. George 6. Pierce

If you take away the iconic scenes in GF, there's very little movie left.